Company paying towards my glasses?

I have been diagnosed as being long sighted and need glasses for Computer use, My boss said the company will pay up to £75 towards my glasses as they are specifically for computer work.

My glasses cost £259 in total, the Lenses were £110 alone!

I have given my boss my receipt for HR to then send me a cheque towards the cost of the glasses, the only problem is I am wanting to quit my job in the next few weeks,

If they do give me a cheque and then i quit can they ask for the money back?

Favorite Answer

They can ask, but unless something is in writing, like you agreeing to work for at least one year, they don't have a great way to make you give it back. On the other hand, if you use this company as a reference for future jobs, they may make a big deal of telling this to your potential future employers.

OOPS - pounds, you are in Britain. I know how it works in the US, but in Britain, when so much law based on precedent, everything i said might be wrong. sorry.

I don't think he can, as Nick said unless it is in writing, but for such a small sum I don't think they would bother. Best leave on a good terms though, you don't want to agitate the situation.