Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Why don't we feel lazy to sleep?

Favorite Answer

Because we fall asleep only when our body wants to. It's basically an involuntary action(you can't wish yourself to sleep--try to think hard about sleeping and you'll end up sleepless.) So you have no control once you're sleeping. On the other hand, you can think about to wash the dishes now or leave it for tomorrow; you can ponder a voluntary action so you can can decide to be lazy and procrastinate or not. An involuntary action however is controlled by your subconscious and your hormones--you can't feel lazy to digest nor can you will yourself to sleep. And yeah it feels good to sleep. Even if you try not to sleep, if your body says 'lights out' , then it is definitely bedtime.

I hope you do NOT take what I'm about to say as a smart@$$ response - it REALLY isn't meant as such. But, in fact, I often feel too lazy to sleep. Sleeping feels like extremely hard work to me. And it is NOT because I suffer from insomnia, either. Still, I can usually get some shuteye only when I'm so incredibly tired that I literally pass out. Otherwise, I normally feel - well the best way to describe it in fact is - way too lazy to sleep. Frankly, I owe you a debt of gratitude, because I'd never QUITE thought about it like that before, but that's exactly what it is - FEELING TOO LAZY TO SLEEP. I realize I maybe an exception to the rule, and it might have something to do with the abstract nature of my work, but even after making myself physically exhausted I still feel too lazy when it comes to sleep. And the operative word in this case IS "lazy", indeed. I guess if you look hard enough you can always find an exception to everything. :-)

P.S. Excellent question, btw.

• Because having a sleep is the sweetest kind of laziness;)

But we do. Feeling sleepy, already half-way there, we become less alert, we become lazy, and it is then easy to fall 'the rest of the distance' down into full sleep - all falling is easy, especially when a push is given.

Because we are too lazy to fight sleep. It's easier to just give in and fall asleep.

Lazy people don't want to put forth effort, it takes no conscious effort to sleep.

because sleeping is lazy-ing =P

we feel sleepy when we feel lazy.

because sleeping isnt hard work! and this is when your body revitalises and renews your energy ... (well its after i wake and have to coffees that i feel this way, but thats what they say!)