getting married?

So... me and my fiance are getting married on the 20th of october, and he is pcsing in december, (leaving here on 10.december)

We are trying to get everything done, so I can be on his orders and go to Japan. I really really don't want to wait here (germany) until the military can fly me out there, plus I don't want to sit on a plane for up t0 20 hours all by my self.

Basicly, I need something like a checklist, so we know what all has to be done before and after we get married, We went to the airman and family readiness center, but they didn't have them there, I also checked online, but couldnt find anything.

I REALLY REALLY hope someone can help me, so we can get started.

Oh and he will be on tdy for 45 days, so I we will have even less time. Unless there is something I can do....

We are just going to do the justice of the piece.

• Annie
    Favorite Answer

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Now the tougher news...until you are married, your husband can't do anything to get you on his orders to Japan. Once you are married and have a wedding liscense/certificate in hand, he can immediately take that and your birth certificate and passport (if you don't have one get it now) to the base and enroll you in DEERS and get you added to his orders. Only after you are officially added to his orders can the military do anything like arrange packout for furniture, your travel arrangements and the like. The biggest problem with all of this is that ONLY your husband can enroll you in DEERS and get you on orders. And, unless he can get you a power or attorney, only he can make the arrangements for pack out, approve travel and the like...military spouses simply do not get to have that power. Have your fiance talk to his PCS co-ordinator now or base legal about making sure you have the right power of attorney to handle things while he is TDY. Base legal is another stop...to find out how to get the power of attorney, what they will need to do so, etc.

Assuming all that is done, there is still a very strong chance you may end up having to travel seperately. It can take some time for the military to process all of this information and change orders. More than likely, now that your husband will be married, he will have to agree to an extended tour...another year to 18 months on top of what he was originally given. Accompanied tours (tours where dependents are moved overseas) are longer than unaccompanied (non-dependent tours) simply because of the added cost of moving another person, housing costs, etc. My guess is he was offered a three year tour and it will get bumped up to four. You are marrying in October, he will be gone and he is leaving December 10...you may not have enough time to get your set of issues handled. I would be very surprised if they change his departure date...his new job will be waiting for him..so that means you may end up leaving a month or so later.

As for preparing...again, you need information from him. He needs to find out from his PCS co-ordinator what his weight allowance will be and if they will add your's to that and pack it all out at the same time. If you have been living together (or even if you have your own place) you need to start sorting through things now. Japan has incredably low weight limits for families moving in. My husband was E4 with two dependents (myself and our daughter) and we were only allowed 4000 pounds. You will not need any appliances..base provides them all. Keep furniture to a minimum and , if you are going to have to live off base, remeber Japanese houses are small (although most have decent closet space), not constructed the same and really are not designed or built to handle heavy, large furniture...leave the king sized, four poster bed or water bed in storage! The AF will provide furniture to use if needed...we brought our beds (mattresses and frames) the furniture from our daughter's room and our bureau and that was it for large pieces. Off base, most American (am not sure about European appliances) will work but not as well. Look for adaptors and surge protectors to pack along. Start going through things and decide what has to come...winter clothes, bedding, kitchen items..what special things you want (I advise you to leave anything you can't replace and/or has some financial value behind if you can...porcelin statues, china, crystal are all things that if you love are not worth the risk of being broken in the move)..what you can get rid of and what you want placed in storage. Sell your cars..you will not be allowed to take them (the AF doesn't ship cars to Japan). You will buy a used car once you arrive. Be sure to have copies of all important documents...birth certificates and your marriage liscense (get official copies), any degrees or diplomas, etc.

At this point, getting organized and getting information is all you really can do. Your fiancee must get the information you need from the base...PCS co-ordinator, base legal and, if all else fails, he should ask his first shirt who to speak to. He needs to do it NOW. Once he has that information and talks to his PCS co-ordinator, you'll have a better idea of what is going on. PS..he should have talked to the PCS co-ordinator as soon as you decided to marry and go with him. He absolutely can not wait on at least telling them..they may be able to get things ready so that as soon as you are legally married, they can push through the papers.

Now, keep in mind that my husband is Army and you are talking Air Force so there may be differences, but this was my experience coming to Germany. My husband arrived here in October of 2005 and started processing the paperwork to get me and my kids out here with him. It took until December for command sponsorship to come through so that we could fly out. There are women out here who have flown themselves out, but until that sponsorship comes through they will not put you in housing or help in just about any way. You will probably be in Tricare, but that's about it. As much as it stinks, it is a process that he may have to follow. One thing you can try is looking for people on myspace who are stationed at the base you are heading for. I have had people contact me on there to find out what it is like here and the majority of military wives are more than happy to share any information they can about what is going on in an area, what is it like getting there, living there, etc. It may not go exactly the way you want it to, but you WILL get there, even if it is not the same time as him. Good luck to you both.

• Chris

If you are in Germany they have a 30 day waiting period after you fill out the marriage license before you can be married. Check it out now. Though Denmark has only a 24 hour waiting period.

i grew to become into engaged whilst i grew to become into 24 and married whilst i grew to become into 26 Our wedding ceremony hues have been a gentle peach and chocolate brown We each and each had our brothers as witnesses (2 finished), it grew to become into an exceedingly small wedding ceremony (14 human beings have been there consisting human beings and our reverend) Our reception grew to become into held a month after our wedding ceremony, and we did no longer have assigned seating, maximum human beings did no longer sit down, it grew to become right into a dinner social gathering We had a small chocolate cake and then a sort of cakes for human beings to %, i think of there have been 5 distinctive selections We went to Maui for 2 weeks We have been given married in Gleneden coastline, OR, a tiny city on the coast, purely exterior of Lincoln city

• weddingchannel.com

theknot.com

and if u need a dress check out http://www.weddingo.net/ they can even make custon dresses and free shipping!

good luck