Ben asked in 教育與參考出國留學 · 1 decade ago

Pre-vet a major in US college?

Thanks in advance.

I need advice for pre-vet application for US undergraduate study.

Is PRE-VET a major in undergraduate program? or it's just a term which

stand for list of some Veterinary Medicine related credits that could be

a pre-requisitive courses for DVM?

My daughter is very interesting with vet study, aim for DVM, major in

plant science as a sophomo student now in NTU, would like to transfer to

US under-graduate for vet study.

Thanks very much anyone who can help on this.

Ben

bencheng@yahoo.com.tw

Rating
  • Happy
    Favorite Answer

a pre-requisitive courses for DVM?

Pre-VET is not a department in US undergraduate programs. It is a term used to signify students who are interested in going to a DVM program. Pre-VET students can enroll in several departments: Biology, Microbiology, Botany, Biochemistry, and Physiology. The pre-VET students must have sufficient courses in Chemistry, Physics, Math, Biology, Microbiology, and Biochemistry. This is also to prepare students for the veterinary school entrance test VCAT.

US under-graduate for vet study.

I graduated from the NTU EE Department and received a Ph. D. from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UICC). I was also on the faculty of UICC Medical School and CS for many years. UICC has one of the best VDM program in the country. I would not advice your daughter to transfer into an US school. It is because of the following reason:

VDM programs are even more difficult to apply than Medical School, because the Vets have less off-hour emergency, less patient complain, less malpractice liability. Most VDM programs are offered by State Universities and accept mostly in-state students.

I would rather recommend that your daughter finishes her degree and then comes to the US for graduate school in one of the related departments. While she is in the graduate program, she should prepare and take the VCAT test. If her score is good, she should then apply for the VDM program. If not, she could finish her Ph. D. and could do research in these fields at a Vet School.

2007-09-14 21:22:06 補充:

VET schools are difficult to appy simply because there are very few of them in the country.

The BIG 10 universities have some of the best VET programs in the country.

2007-09-14 21:27:33 補充:

In-state students mean that these are US citizens and reside in the state for more than a year.

If your daughter has a Green Card or is an US citizen, then it would be an entire different situation. In that case she should come to the US ASAP.