3rd time around?

I had planned on getting a pigeon from a friend while I was in LA earlier this week. Though I was unable to get over to her house since she's going to her Grandpa's funeral this week. Also her pigeons didn't have any eggs or babies. I probably won't get back to LA until November.

I'm hoping the parents will have something on my next trip down there(I live in Nevada). From what I remember my friend's birds breed year round if left in the same loft and or cage. But I'm not sure about this paticular pair.

What do you think?

The male is a purebred parlor roller and the female is a roller/homing pigeon mix. Their previous baby died cause her head was deformed, though I've been told by another pigeon owner that rollers have do have genetic problems.

Favorite Answer

I would look at other types of pigeons that are not so prone to genetic problems. I would also think about getting a pair of adult pigeons and doing the breeding yourself. It is always best to start with an adult as your first bird, until you get used to handling it and caring for it, and working through any problems that arise. And you should not try to hand-raise a pigeon or dove, as they, unlike other breeds, are fed a "ctop milk" by their parents. The various types of hand feeding formula you can get at pet stores are not designed for pigeons and doves. They are for parrots and other birds that do not require the same nutrition. They are not high enough in fat content or protien to be a good formula for pigeons and doves.

Get a pair of birds from a reputable breeder, one that has experienced no genetic problems with their stock, and allow the parents to do the feeding of the babies.