Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesGMC · 1 decade ago

Where can I find a 3.8L Turbo V6 crate motor?

I need a built crate motor for my Grand National. Know any good builders you could recommend?

Favorite Answer

There are only a few builders in the country that I'd trust with a 3.8 Turbo Buick motor. They have some very specific needs that most machine shops just don't understand or follow. All of the factory "crate motors" have been sold out for a number of years now.

Join the following Turbo Buick boards for advice on a qualified builder in your area (it's free). If there's not one close, it's worth the shipping hassle to buy from a real Turbo Buick shop.

www.turbobuick.com

www.turbobuicks.com

www.t6p.com

www.gnttype.org

Source(s): Me. GM motorhead and Turbo Buick guy. Currently building a Turbo Buick powered '36 Chevy street rod.

Buick Grand National Crate Engine

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): find 3 8l turbo v6 crate motor: https://tr.im/ay9Aj

I used to own an 01 v6, I now have an 06 gt. The ford racing engines are extremely overpriced. I would never think about them after I saw the crazy price. It just isn't worth the $. Plus, it is not a simple swap, I know a guy that dropped over 10k switching his 03 saleen to the 03-04 cobra swap. You would not believe all the odd parts you have to switch and how costly they are. How about the same model used crate motor for the gt and mod that a bit to get around 280 hp(crank). A big sc can get you to that power level, but it will blow out your stock bottom end. GL on your search,

• kelcey

Buick Crate Engines

If you can't find one (which I can't) and don't want to pay someone to do all the work, my only suggestion would be to get a decent block with perhaps a blown head gasket, find the original information (cam type, compression ratio, piston material, etc.) for the GN engine and find the later Garrett turbocharger and do it yourself, if you know what you're doing.

If you don't care about keeping it original, you could try to find a wrecked Syclone or Typhoon and pull the turbo 4.3L from there, though it might be tough to fit into a GN. If you did this though, you'd need the 700R4/4L60 trans (not 4L60-E), if it's automatic that is.

Edelbrock, Auto zone, Most of your big name auto part stores carry or can order crate engines.

A/C DELCO HAS A LARGE LISTING FOR MANY COMPLETE ENGINES THAT FIT YOUR APPLICATION.

Source(s): 923