I want to learn how to drive a manual transmission.. Is it pretty easy to long.. What is the learning curve?

Favorite Answer

it can be very frustrating, but it can be done.

i would suggest learning on a truck or diesel engine. the torque alone can keep you from stalling out if you let the clutch off too fast.

i suggest this excercise in a level parking lot:

1. step on clutch, then get in first gear

2. without touching the gas, SLOWLY (i mean SLOWLY) let off the pedal.

3. you will notice the rpms drop, try not to let them get too low or you'll stall. however, DO NOT GIVE IT ANY GAS

4. if you feel like you are going to stall (or if you get the herky-jerky dance) , immediately push back down on the clutch and try again.

5. if you can get the clutch all the way out without stalling, you can then try incorporating more gas pedal. as you become more proficient, you'll be able to observe how much gas pedal you will need to make a quick and smooth takeoff.

good luck and don't give up! knowing how to drive a manual can be a money and life saver.

My Brother took me out in the country to five on a littler driven /Road/ I had the knowledge of where the gears were in the shape of an "H"

My dad had a car that had what they called a "3 in the tree" Oh I forgot to tell you the brother that taught me was not 16 yet. Well I went on vacation and while on vacation bought the" 4 on the floor" car. After the test drive I was OK to go.

So I would say it was relatively easy, But know. I will only drive an automatic as with all the city driving I do I would burn out a clutch in no time as I tend to "ride the clutch."

It depends on the person, some get it quickly others not so......

It helps to have someone with you that knows how. You could pick it up in minutes and be comfortable driving in an hour or you could take days to learn.