Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

College Majors and Careers Options...?

I'm currently halfway through a Psychology degree. I love Psychology, I spend much of my free time reading about it, and although it is an overly popular major, it can be invaluable to those who are interested and insightful enough.

Yet, I've been overwhelmed by the current lack of jobs in the U.S. right now. I mean for most fields/majors. I see countless examples of highly qualified people waiting jobless for years, gambling on this or that opportunity.

I don't have specific plans for the future. I honestly have broad interests. I've been considering, halfway through my junior year, beginning a double major with Comp. Sci. I assume a CS degree would be worth the effort. But I am starting to wonder. Is it worth it to begin all that work now, at 20, and maybe not graduate until I'm 24? Or stay focused on my Psych. degree, try to graduate w/ honors, and capitalize by putting more effort there, and develop my personal skills (communication, even computer, etc.) I need some advice...

Favorite Answer

If you remain true to what you love, everything else will fall into place.

I started in Psychology, but left to go into business. I made a ton of money but was terribly depressed.

I went back to Psychology (no youngster!) got my Ph.D., specialized and have never been happier!!

I live a comfortable life, but I would probably be rich if I had stayed in business. I have never regretted my decision.

With that same philosophy, my brother went into business and has never been happier.

My sister-in-law has a Master degree in Comp. Sci. and went back to school for a degress in Social Work and has never been happier.

Be true to your heart. Do what you love.

Graduating at 24 seems silly.

Two Words: Graduate School. You could probably get a Masters in CompSci with a B.S. in Psych.

One Word: Entrepreneur. Make yourself a management/consulting job. If you can't find it, make it! Who needs the corporate monster anyways?

Go to Wall Street. Write a paper on investor psychology. Develop a model. Set up a hedge fund. Get rich. Consult with other funds. Get richer.

In America, if you are in the right part of it, a single person can survive on 10k a year comfortably. A super-job is not all that important. So I wouldn't worry much.

Worrying about job security is BS. If you love what you're doing and really good at it, you'll always find a job. For example, if you love battered womens' counseling and you're good at it, you'll always get referrals and patients.

Don't get a major just because of the pay and security, I was a music major and now I'm in IT. I make lots of money but hate the work!