how can i tell where someone has been on my computer?

I want to know if I can track where people go on my computer

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes You Can!

You need to use SpyBuddy. SpyBuddy allows you to monitor all areas of your PC, tracking every action down the last keystroke pressed. SpyBuddy has the ability to log all AOL/ICQ/MSN/AIM/Yahoo chat conversations, all websites visited, all windows opened and interacted with, every application executed, every document printed, all text and images sent to the clipboard, and even every keystroke, including system keys!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It depends on what it is you want to track.

If you want to track where a person is browsing on the internet... you can simply check the internet history within the browser (unless they are deleting it).

You could use a keylogger which comes in either a software version that you install like any other program or a hardware keylogger that attaches to the end of the keyboard cable. (these can also be subverted if the person knows they are there).

So you can log things like the browsers history or specific programs , etc.. and they probably wouldn't think to look there... unless they were real savvy...

If on the other hand... you suspect that someone is hacking into your computer and you want to track their actions... then you have a few other options:

1) you can enable loggin on the system. Most of the newer versions of windows XP, Vista, NT, 2003 have very granular logging capabilities. This is how businesses keep track of their users actions and can track an "incident".

2) if someone has dome some real damage, if you went the forensic route... you could image the system and build a timeline with programs such as EnCase, Autopsy, The Slueth Kit, WFT, FTK, etc.... this would be how in a court of law you could prove the exact time when someone created a file and deleted and file and retrieve deleted files and such.

If you're just wanting to limit your kids browsing habits.. there are programs like net nanny and cybercop that are OK as long as your kid isn't savvy enough to get around those.

In the securty field we have a saying "layered security".. and what that means is that it is better to use all of these methods in conjunction with each other than to rely on only one. If there are many layers someone has to go through to break into your system... hopefully they will give up and move on to the person who is using only one method or no method of protection... the low hanging fruit...

good luck

• 1 decade ago

Use a key logger. It will track the usage of your computer down to each keystroke typed. I'm sure you can find some free ones, but I've listed 2 good program sites to try out. If you don't like those do a google search for Key Logger and you should find some more.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Try to look in the Internet history. If that is erased then try "macro recorders". "Internet activity monitors","Key Loggers" etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.