How to understand the 'except' in the sentence below?

The sentence is:

I still have no clear, definitive answer as to what was causing me to suddenly collapse like I kept doing for so many years, except that I kept collapsing from profound migraines.

Does it mean 'I' didn't keep collapsing from profound migraines as many years as 'i' kept collapsing?

Favorite Answer

It means that the only reason he can come up with for collapsing was the profound migraines.

He collapses but he doesn't know why.

He collapses when he has migraines.

He doesn't know why he has migraines that cause him to collapse.

It was the migraines that kept you collapsing for many years. Up to the point you realized that when a migraine hit you that you would collapse from the pain, and a doctor explained it, you had no clue what caused your "mini-blackouts." There was no other explanation for the collapse EXCEPT the headaches.

(PS:hope that makes sense. It's 1 a.m. where I live and I'm getting tired. LOL)

Source(s): opinion--my brother has to be in a totally dark room whenever he has migraines because the light makes them worse.

It means that the only clear, definitive answer is "that he kept collapsing from the profound migraines". Meaning it what is "causing him to collapse"

"except" here means, u have only one probability which u know but feel there could be other reasons also.

In above sentence, it means..I kept collapsing.

First off, the punctuation is incorrect. But, reading this, I see it as indecision. You've tried to narrow it down, but, this is the only answer you can see.