Does experiencing sexual abuse at a younger age cause relationship problems in adult life?

It only happened to me twice but I find there are problems (I am very successful in work and school, but that's besides the point). I also tend to attract older men and married men (but I always say "no" and never go out with them), and it doesn't even help that I am a vulnerable-looking girl (brown-haired, brown-eyed, pale, petite, with a babyface). I find it very nerve-racking to even date new people even though I've been in a couple of relationships.

I am not in a relationship right now. I also don't think I am stuck in the past (not at least that much), but even though I am successful at my job (and have been published and featured several times in my newspaper), I still attract the same types of people I have as a teenager!

• Jen
    Favorite Answer

It can. It did for me. The biggest problem was I couldn't link the two in my head ~ I just couldn't work out why my relationships, jobs etc. were one disaster after another.

Twelve months of therapy later & I have begun to understand that it was my behavioural patterns formed from the abuse that I was carrying into my relationships which were causing the problems.

Now I can see WHY I do things a certain way & WHY I feel the way I do about certain things in a relationship - ie:controlling behaviour, etc.

Only time, therapy & validation will help with healing. Good luck.

First i am very sorry that you had to go thru that and i would love to spend some quality alone time with the person that did this to you but im betting it wouldn't matter to some one like that. All i can say is i wouldn't put to much in the advice you may see here on this site. You may even get some derogetory comments which is the last thing you need. Do this in the privacy of you and your doctor or agency or organization that provides these services. I have read somewhere that all an internet forum is is a gathering place for the galactically stupid with little useful info for the most part and decyphering the BS from the truth may drive you insane so don't be suprised at what you may hear on here and don't take it to heart. There are some very bad people in the world as you well know but don't let that make you bitter towards everyone else man wise, there are still some of us good ones left and if you don't close your heart then you WILL find the right one and try not to have in your mind that sex is a bad thing. Between two people that trully love and care for each other sex is a very wonderful thing and should be enjoyed not forced. Again i am sorry you had to go thru that but press forward and be strong and you will be ok. Best of Luck to you.

Any form of abuse at any point in one's life may definitely cause problems in relationships, again, at any point in one's life. Seek counseling because it seems that you have not been able to fully cope with the events of your childhood. Good luck.

• Bill

I think the answer is probably. I suggest you try therapy. It might help deal with abuse so that you can deal with life as an adult.

Best of luck to you. Smile once for me.

m going through the same thing and the answer is yes yes yes the way that my boyfriend somtimes touch me reminds me of my step father whom raped me and yes it does but you have to swollow that sometime because that can cause alot of cofusion and he may get tired of that and leave but if he really cares he will understand and sick by you be honest with him

if you can't let go the past,you're still in the past.

bad memories can affect your life and any relationship.

yes very much so

read this:

http://www.drdrew.com/Topics/faq.asp?id=1145%C2%A7...

hope that helps

Often.

yes, it makes it harder to trust people.

very much so,