rcb26
rcb26 asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 decade ago

Is there a way to password protect and entire file (not just a document) on the computer?

I work with a lot of files that contain SSNs. To password protect each file would be cumbersome, but an employee's laptop was recently stolen and we need to be more vigilant in our security. If I could password protect the entire file with the individual spreadsheets inside, that would be great. (I always password protect anything via email).

Favorite Answer

Put it in a zip folder and add a password..

Well, in My Documents click File, then New then all the way at the bottom (on mine it's at the bottom) Click Compressed (zipped) folder it a folder and has a zipper through it and Name it. Now move all your files to this folder. When you have this folder open Click File and then Add Password. All the files you have in this Compressed folder cannot be opened unless you enter your passwork:

To protect files in a zipped compressed folder with a password

Open My Computer, and then locate the compressed folder.

Double-click the compressed folder.

On the File menu, click Add a Password.

In the Password box, type a password.

In the Confirm Password box, type the password again.

Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.

Passwords are case sensitive.

You can identify compressed folders by the zipper on the folder icon.

When you extract an password protected file, the extracted file is no longer protected.

Hope it helps

U can download a software from the download.com Named password software(any type). Like hide files and folders(a password folder name).And protect your all files into it for protection and click ok. Now these fgiles are not to all the others

And in case of compressed zip folder,One can not see your files but delete your files.