James R asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Does anyone have actual figures (not guessing please) on the rate of suicide for loss of pets?

I mean the rate of suicide for those grieving the loss of a pet? Please, serious, informed answers only.

Favorite Answer

I don't know if there is a recorded statistic for suicide due to pet loss. I heard of an elderly couple in India who killed themselves in their bed because their dog died.

Why? Do you want to become part of the statistic? Hopefully, you don't. But the grief one can feel from the loss of a pet can be equal if not sometimes more than the loss of a human. It does get better though...having gone thru it many, many, many times. Good luck!

I'm sorry but I can't find any numbers showing the rate. I did find the leading cause of suicide is depression and one of the leading causes of depression is loss of a love one. A pet would be a loved one.

when i was younger my dog got ran over on christmas and was bleeding internally. i ws crying the whole time because i thought she would die and most vets arent open on holidays so i had to go about an hour in the snow to help my dog out. i could take the loss because i had lost my mom at age 10. i just realized this doesnt answer ur question. ya srry out that i dont no the facts

• ?

are you effin serious?