James R asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Does anyone have actual figures (not guessing please) on the rate of suicide for loss of pets?

I mean the rate of suicide for those grieving the loss of a pet? Please, serious, informed answers only.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't know if there is a recorded statistic for suicide due to pet loss. I heard of an elderly couple in India who killed themselves in their bed because their dog died.

• 1 decade ago

Why? Do you want to become part of the statistic? Hopefully, you don't. But the grief one can feel from the loss of a pet can be equal if not sometimes more than the loss of a human. It does get better though...having gone thru it many, many, many times. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

I'm sorry but I can't find any numbers showing the rate. I did find the leading cause of suicide is depression and one of the leading causes of depression is loss of a love one. A pet would be a loved one.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

when i was younger my dog got ran over on christmas and was bleeding internally. i ws crying the whole time because i thought she would die and most vets arent open on holidays so i had to go about an hour in the snow to help my dog out. i could take the loss because i had lost my mom at age 10. i just realized this doesnt answer ur question. ya srry out that i dont no the facts

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

are you effin serious?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.