Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

How do you know if you have ADHD?

I have to move my pen when teacher is explaining in order to focus. I also have to move my position every 10 -15 min. How do I know I have ADHD?

it's not that i can't really focus, it's that i just have these habits ofmoving constantly.

Favorite Answer

I have ADHD and it sure doesnt sound like you have ADHD. People with ADHD constantly moving some part of their body. They are NEVER still.

You should get an evaluation from a professional. They can have your teachers and your parents complete some forms about you. Some people have more problems focusing than others. Some have a disorder called ADHD. See the following:

DSM-IV Criteria for ADHD

I. Either A or B:

1.

Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Inattention

1.

Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.

2.

Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.

3.

Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.

4.

Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).

5.

Often has trouble organizing activities.

6.

Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).

7.

Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).

8.

Is often easily distracted.

9.

Is often forgetful in daily activities.

2.

Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have been present for at least 6 months to an extent that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Hyperactivity

1.

Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat.

2.

Often gets up from seat when remaining in seat is expected.

3.

Often runs about or climbs when and where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may feel very restless).

4.

Often has trouble playing or enjoying leisure activities quietly.

5.

Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor".

6.

Often talks excessively.

Impulsivity

1.

Often blurts out answers before questions have been finished.

2.

Often has trouble waiting one's turn.

3.

Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games).

2.

Some symptoms that cause impairment were present before age 7 years.

3.

Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g. at school/work and at home).

4.

There must be clear evidence of significant impairment in social, school, or work functioning.

5.

The symptoms do not happen only during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder. The symptoms are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder).

Based on these criteria, three types of ADHD are identified:

1.

ADHD, Combined Type: if both criteria 1A and 1B are met for the past 6 months

2.

ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type: if criterion 1A is met but criterion 1B is not met for the past six months

3.

ADHD, Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: if Criterion 1B is met but Criterion 1A is not met for the past six months.

That doesnt sound like ADHD maybe ADD... google amen ADD test and it'll come up with a really good test you can take then you know whether you should talk to your doctor about it or not

• JD

You don't have it. It's just a supposedly "cool" affliction to have. Just settle down and focus. Learn some self-discipline.

I don't believe in ADHD.