I have been watching The Andy Griffith Show.?

I have noticed that Floyd the barber speaks kind of weird. Was there something wrong with him, I mean the actor, or did he actually talk like he was half drunk?

Favorite Answer

Yes, Howard McNear had a stroke, which is why they have him seated or simply standing one place. I think that's so sweet and thoughtful that they kept him on the show.

I checked a site to make certain that I was correct when recalling this. It was a massive stroke suffered during the third season.

Many shows might have let him go, considering him a liability, but they allowed him to continue in this popular role. Did you know that he acted in many films? Check the link below, which will tell you more about this actor who was more than "just" Floyd Lawson.

His filmwork includes Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Bell, Book and Candle, Anatomy of a Murder, Blue Hawaii, Irma la Douce, and The Fortune Cookie. I imagine there are a lot of roles not yet documented since films from the mid-Seventies back usually only listed main actors and very little of the supporting cast.

For example, did you know that "Aunt Bea" (Frances Bavier) was in a number of films? For example, she has a small role as one of the boarders in "The Day the Earth Stood Still"!

I believe that he may have been suffering from the effects of a stroke, which your asking about. I do know that tward the end of his stint on the Andy Griffin Show, he primarily sat either in the barber chair or behind things. You rarely ever saw him standing.

Yes, Howard McNear who played Floyd suffered a stroke. The producers of the show had him either setting down or standing in one place to accommodate his disability.