MSN messenger won't let me sign in... It says I am using an old version, but I don't think I am. Ideas?

When I try to sign into MSN messenger an error box pops up and says, "You cannot sign into MSN messenger because you are using an old version of messenger." However, I'm using version 7.5, and I just downloaded it a few weeks ago.

Favorite Answer

Windows Live Messenger 8.1 is the newest version

Yeah, I have the same problem. I downloaded Windows messenger. That wouldn't even open. Deleted it. Downloaded it again it opened but wouldn't let me sign in. Deleted it. got the old version of MSN back and it still wont let me sign in! It is not my firewall or anything. Im really confused!! So I cant help!But try and not get in the same situation as me! but can someone help me aswell!

When I tried to sign into Messenger this morning it said I had to download the new version to continue using it. So I guess there is another new version. It only took a few minutes to down load it.

But the problem is, i cant download anything on my computer.

Because my cousin gave me my computer, but he forgot the password to the adminstrative rights account, so now i just cant sign in to msn at all? nor can i upgrade it, because to upgrade it i would need to have adminstrative rights, which i dont have.

I had the same problem since last week but its now fix.

They had a new version 8.1 and wouldn't allow you to sign in if you don't reinstall the new version.

So try download and install it in order to sign in.

Try deleting it completely,

and downloading it again.

If that doesn't work then

go to MY COMPUTER,

then LOCAL DISK, then

PROGRAM FILES. after

you enter the program files

look for MSN MESSENGER.

& try opening it from there.

if that doesn't work then I don't know. =(

I know, and it sucks. It's due to a "webcam vulnerability" and they want all Windows XP users to upgrade to the bloated Windows Live Messenger 8.1.

Some info here: http://www.msgstuff.com/news/post/346/ and here: http://forum.msgshit.com/?showtopic=7532

This is brand new

Microsoft came out with mandatory updates tuesday.

If you don't have the update it woun't let you on go to microsoft updates and download.

its happening to me too! I'm using vista . i can't change to windows live messenger. Cuz it won't run on Vista properly...

OH MAN.

Microsoft is sooo ughhh

uninstall the old one if you find in you computer.. you should look in add/remove..which you can get to it from control panel..

If you don't find the old one than from same add/remove uninstall the one you have and install the new one..

Source(s): good with computers