What branch of engineering should I major in if I'm interested in NANOTECHNOLOGY?

Mechanical? Electrical? Computer? My guess is mechanical, but I could never get a 100% straight answer on this one. Does anyone know? I'm getting close to the point where I'll have to declare my major.

Favorite Answer

Hello, I have done some research in nanotech my background is in chemical engineering. I also have some friends that are Material Science graduates that work at the Nano Science and Technology Facility at Cornell. I also have done some work with Material Science and I used some of that knowlege in my research.

So, there are different fields in nanotechnology like bio-technology, electrical engineering, chemistry and physics. It will depend on what area you would like to work in.

There is a sub-branch of chemical engineering called materials engineering. Most big schools that have ChE have courses in this, but I know that the better bigger schools offer Bachelor's and higher degrees in this field alone. A lot will depend upon how you want to use nanotechnology. If you want to design, make or use the technology. Look around and don't be afraid to call up the departments of schools your interested in and be sure that if that is what you want to do you don't go to a school that says "oh ya we offer classes in that." Then realize that easy is not good. go to the most challenging school you can get into. C's from a great school may hurt your pride, but its what you learn, not the grade. And a C from there is better than an A from Gomer State.

• Jody

Go with Physics. Mechanical engineering won't help with it at all.

Source(s): Degree in physics, spent two years studying mechanical engineering.

Something that has to do with sub-atomic particles, Physics is good!