Mica?

Iron pyrite?

How do you know what is what?

And are there any other types?

Update:

How do you know what is what!!!

A little more detail please.

Update 2:

And I know iron pyrite is fools gold. How do you know that it is iron pyrite!!!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mica is very light and will move around in a pan of water very easily when the water is sloshed around, gold is much heavier than either and will stay on the bottom unless you really agitate the water. Iron pyrite is brittle and will shatter when smashed, gold is maleable. Few acids will attack gold, iron pyrite is reactive with many acids.

Iron Pyrite is "the" fools gold, but that name has been used on mica and almost any other shiny material some fool thought was gold.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you find real gold you will know it. If you have to ask yourself if its gold, it probably isnt. I have found several nuggets beaten into the rocks of my "back yard" and there is no doubt it is gold. Mica and iron pyrite isnt even gold coloured if you look at it in the right light, gold is gold. Best of luck with your prospecting.

• manger
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

2 consumer-friendly procedures different than for colour (as quickly as you have considered real gold in a rock you will never confuse with fool's gold-pyrite) easily, merely the undeniable fact which you will discover a brilliant form of it quite is many times a solid sign that's not real gold, because of the fact it quite is enormously uncommon, yet no longer remarkable, to discover gold in a rock in super quantities. a million) Gold commonly would not form in crystals, so if there is a few form of cubes or despite, that's not probably gold. 2) Scratch the mineral with a pocket knife. The gold will scratch quite rather. Pyrite many times would not scratch properly in any respect yet you would be waiting to make some small scratches on its floor. yet merely to tell you, I even have been in geology an prolonged time and been to many gold mines, and the wonderful 2 samples I even have of gold in a rock are ones with little tiny specks which you will quite see without magnifying glass.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the official name for iron pyrites is fools gold.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

fool's gold is iron pyrite

• Jay
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

rub against a white tile

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.