Why do people get hung up on race and ethnicity?

I go to a huge university where seeing different ethnic groups is not a big deal. What I don't get is when people get so hung up on it. For example today I guess I offended a girl who insisted she was "not Indian" and she was Sri Lankan herself, but when I pointed out that well...she LOOKS Indian and her name was Indian, she got mad. And then she had the nerve to tell me that I wasn't Indian because I wasn't born there and I was "too different". What the hell? I'm not one to offend people about this sort of stuff but seriously-- you never see Caucasions rip on each other about who is German enough or not German or who is English enough or who isn't English (at least to my knowledge).

I get ostracized a lot by others from my ethnic community because I choose to define myself as "American" with an Indian ancestry, and therefore I'm a sell-out because I'm not hung up about it myself.

Why can't people just get over it? to me culture can be very transitory and they've always changed.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Although we all treasure uniqueness, sometimes we fail to recognize the fact that people are trying to "relate" as you were. You are not a sell-out. You are defining yourself on your own terms....that is called strength.

• 1 decade ago

This always baffles me too. I don't walk around telling people I'm an Irish American just because my grand parents are from Ireland. I say I'm human and American. Many are too hung up on it. I agree. You aren't a sell out. We are all HUMAN. That should be the ONLY thing we see about each other. I don't think I'm going to live to see the day that we will just see people as people and nothing else. Disheartening.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

People are insecure and to them its a big deal. But it the grand scheme of things, no one cares & it doesn't matter.

• 1 decade ago

I honesty dont know! I just dont have that gene in my body.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Because minorities stuff it down everybody's throat every hour of every day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.