Why do people get hung up on race and ethnicity?

I go to a huge university where seeing different ethnic groups is not a big deal. What I don't get is when people get so hung up on it. For example today I guess I offended a girl who insisted she was "not Indian" and she was Sri Lankan herself, but when I pointed out that well...she LOOKS Indian and her name was Indian, she got mad. And then she had the nerve to tell me that I wasn't Indian because I wasn't born there and I was "too different". What the hell? I'm not one to offend people about this sort of stuff but seriously-- you never see Caucasions rip on each other about who is German enough or not German or who is English enough or who isn't English (at least to my knowledge).

I get ostracized a lot by others from my ethnic community because I choose to define myself as "American" with an Indian ancestry, and therefore I'm a sell-out because I'm not hung up about it myself.

Why can't people just get over it? to me culture can be very transitory and they've always changed.

Favorite Answer

Although we all treasure uniqueness, sometimes we fail to recognize the fact that people are trying to "relate" as you were. You are not a sell-out. You are defining yourself on your own terms....that is called strength.

This always baffles me too. I don't walk around telling people I'm an Irish American just because my grand parents are from Ireland. I say I'm human and American. Many are too hung up on it. I agree. You aren't a sell out. We are all HUMAN. That should be the ONLY thing we see about each other. I don't think I'm going to live to see the day that we will just see people as people and nothing else. Disheartening.

People are insecure and to them its a big deal. But it the grand scheme of things, no one cares & it doesn't matter.

I honesty dont know! I just dont have that gene in my body.

Because minorities stuff it down everybody's throat every hour of every day.