What kind of spider is this??

I live in portland oregon, so i dont think it is a brown recluse.

Favorite Answer

There is no way that is a Brown recluse. There is no violin on its back!

It loooks like a Grass Spider, which is indigenous to your area. They are more or less harmless. Like all animals though, treat them with respect!

http://www.cirrusimage.com/spider_funnel_weaver_Ag...

http://www.spiderzrule.com/grass.htm

• Erika

I have simply observed a nest, in my lawn, of what looks to be one hundred's of little yellow and black spiders newly hatched...Never noticeable them earlier than in my lifestyles.... Being a bit of concerned (Yellow and Black is as a rule natures caution signal) I have performed a quantity of searches... After trawling the web it looks it perhaps be a style of Argiope (black and yellow lawn spider) nonetheless that's a US spider and I am residing within the UK... Further looking indicates their is a 'Wasp Spider' that is observed in Contienial Europe and often the South Coast of England... Which remains to be a thriller as I reside within the Midlands(England - UK) that is miles from the any coast allow best the South Coast.... Should I be charging men and women to come back and seek advice from my Garden to look this infrequent website or is there a different style of spider out right here? They don't seem to be detrimental to people are they I believe??? - my mum may be very anxiouis!!! Damon

• a-mac

It's scary! Do you live in an area where brown recluse spiders live???

I would put it in a jar and put it in the freezer so that it gets a little sleepy and then never wakes up. (I think it's nicer than squashing them...)

Don't let it bite you!!! And don't get so close! I think that thing could have bitten your thumb!

It looks like a brown recluse spider or a hobo spider. Both spiders share similar characteristics. Either one is dangerous. there bites can cause serious injury (its rare but even death or amputation of area were bitten. Here an address with a chart on these spiders.

Well it's not a Brown Recluse, Hobo or Black Widow (obviously!) and those are the only truly poisonous (as in really harmful to humans) that I know of in the US. Sorry, can't help you out.

well Evan you had me curious..I am deathly afraid of spiders and have been known to strip in the front yard while mowing because ran into a bananna spider and its web right in my face they are huge too.I looked at the comparasion of you spider and the one of the brown recluse that little lady had for us to look at and I would say that in comparasion they are the exaxt same size and if could possible be a male.Be careful amd I am glad that you didnt get bit.

Source(s): Now it could have been brought in on a cargo from a store crate or any other 10 thousand ways.I would be interested in how you got so close to the darn thing to get such good photos.I copied them and will be in touch
  • Pepsi

I don't know but in Tulsa on one corner of the fair grounds there is a place you can take something like that and there may be someone there that knows the answer or the book they can look it up in.

Maybe someone on this site would know the name of a good spider book you can go look at in Barnes and Nobles or maybe they know a spider web site.

Thanks for letting us look at your spider.

It kind of looks like a brown recluse.

almost looks like a brown recluse.

It looks like a brown recluse. Whatever you do, don't let it bite you, and if it is in your house, kill it and make sure there are no others!