Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionOther - Television · 1 decade ago

A question about Stephen Frye for our friends in Great Britian?

One of the best songs I've heard all year is the song "Thou Shalt Always Kill" by Scroobius Pip vs. Dan le Sac. It is a smorgasborg of British pop culture references. One of the lines that always gets the best laughs on the youtube comment boards is "Thou Shalt not Question Stephen Frye"

What does that mean, exactly. Who is Stephen Frye, brief bio. How is he viewed in British pop culture. Is there an American equivalent?

Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks.

Cool,

That definately gives me an idea.

But there has to be an American alternative. Is he Letteman? Is he Denis Leary?

I simply just love comedic genius, the more you can tell me, the betteer.

Favorite Answer

Stephen Fry is an actor, comedian and a fountain of knowledge. He apparantly has the brain of a sponge and can answer most questions without reference, he hosts a game show show called QI which is funny but offers useless facts and Stephen often goes on a tagent about a subject off the cuff coming up with allsorts of interesting little known facts, the show is not researched, its all off the cuff and brill!

He was voted nuber 6 recently in the BBC's living icons poll

I suppose the American equivalent would be Quentin Crisp, even though he is British too, I do not know of a true American equivalent as it is his stiff upper lipped Britishness that makes him the one and only Stephen Fry!

Those were my thoughts....

Other thoughts...

Comic genius Stephen Fry is quite the Renaissance man: writer, actor, comedian, director, librettist, quiz show host and compere extraordinaire. He is best known for his TV comedy, including A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Blackadder, Absolute Power and QI.

Born in London in 1957 and raised in Norfolk, Fry attended Cambridge University where his successful comic partnership with Hugh Laurie began.

Most Renowned For

Fry’s sharp wit and linguistic prowess have made him a master of the one-liner. An early comment about his sexuality embodies his wry humour: "I suppose it all began when I came out of the womb. I looked back up at my mother and thought to myself, 'That's the last time I'm going up one of those.'"

Cultural Impact

Fry is the modern day Oscar Wilde; hilarious, sharp and frightfully clever. From the frank discussions of his early struggles with homosexuality, to his recent documentary about his fight with manic depression, Fry’s extraordinary honesty about his personal battles has made us love him even more.

In His Own Words

"My vocal cords are made of tweed. I give off an air of Oxford donnishness and old BBC wirelesses"

Pub Quiz Trivia

Fry was Liza Tarbuck’s ‘phone a friend’ on Celebrity Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. He had already provided the correct answer before the options were listed.

"A phrase that gets bandied around a lot is Renaissance man. When you watch any of his movies, read any of his books or watch his comedy, it doesn’t sound like a dalliance ... each one is brilliant ... he is a master craftsman". Ed Byrne

Stephen Fry QI Christmas Special, shows his dry humour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HESOqZlKRzc

Youtube thumbnail

Stephen Fry giving a grammar lesson to Alan on QI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-XQ6MVAsM

Youtube thumbnail

&mode=related&search=

Stephen Fry being interviewed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjZWTxl3lUk

Youtube thumbnail

&mode=related&search=

All good clips and many more to choose from on you tube!

Can U.S. citizens answer, too?

Here's Mr. Frye's Internet Movie Database page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000410/

He was brilliant as Jeeves with Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster in Wodehouse stories produced by the BBC. Hugh has gone on to pretend to be an American doctor.

Mr. Frye was also in some of the Black Adder series.

A U.S. equivalent would be hard to place. Very dry and understated.

• Mary

That statement - "The British are some of the more anti-American people on the globe" - is completely untrue. The British and American people have a lot more in common with each other than they probably care to admit. I have never met ANY British people who claim to dislike Americans. If they do then they're real good at hiding it. lol :-)