delana
delana asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

how to make a good pizza dough?

this pizza thing is startting to get on my nerves .serriously ,let me start with my yeast not wannting to fluff up , second neither does my dough after i cook it , its flat as can be and dry . please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

this is what recipe i used

3 cups of flour

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

2tbs salt

1 pakage of yeast

yes i dissolve my yeast

• ck1
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like your yeast is too old or you are using water that is either too cold (won't fluff) or too hot (will kill the yeast). If the yeast won't fluff, your dough WILL be flat and hard and dry because it won't rise correctly.

If you'd like, try one of the following recipes. They are really good.

Pizza Crust

-2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour

-1 tablespoon sugar

-1 teaspoon salt

-1 package regular or quick active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoon)

-3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil

-1 cup very warm water (120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit)

-----------------------------

Mix 1 cup of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons oil and the warm water. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in enough remaining flour until dough is soft and leaves sides of bowl. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead 5 to 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes. Continue as directed below for thin crusts or thick crusts.

For thin crusts: Heat oven to 425°. Grease 2 cookie sheets or 12-inch pizza pans with oil. Divide dough in half. Pat each half into 12-inch circle on cookie sheets. Partially bake 7 to 8 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Add toppings and bake as directed in step 4.

For thick crusts: Grease 2 square pans, 8 x 8 x 2 inches, or 2 round pans, 9 x 1 1/2 inches, with oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Divide dough in half. Pat each half in bottom of pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 30 to 45 minutes or until almost double. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 375°. Partially bake 20 to 22 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Add toppings and bake as directed in step 4.

*Do not use self-rising flour.

From "Betty Crocker's Complete Cookbook, Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, 9th Edition." Text Copyright 2000 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

If you have a bread machine, I'd suggest making this pizza dough. It is EXCELLENT. I've used it often. You could use the following dough ingredients in the above recipe, I suppose, if you are making it by hand.

Pizza Dough

-1-1/2 cups water

-3 tablespoons olive oil

-4-1/2 cups bread flour (if you want a whole wheat pizza crust, decrease bread flour to 1-1/2 cups and add 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour with the bread flour)

-2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

-1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil, oregano, thyme (or a combination of the three or other spices you like) or Italian seasoning (I use, 1/2 teaspoon parsley, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/2 teaspoon basil)

-1-1/2 teaspoons sugar

-1 teaspoon salt

-3 teaspoons regular active dry yeast or 3 teaspoons bread machine yeast or quick-acting active dry yeast

-----------------------------

1. Remove bread pan; attach kneading blade.

2. Place all dough ingredients in bread pan in order listed.

3. Insert bread pan, close lid and plug in.

4. Press SELECT until setting number 9 (dough setting) is displayed. Press START.

5. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

6. Grease 2 cookie sheets (I use olive oil). Divide dough into two pieces. Let rest 10 minutes. With oiled fingers, pat each half of dough into a 12x15-inch rectangle on each cookie sheet.

7. Spread with favorite toppings.

8. Bake each pizza 18 to 20 minutes at 400 or until crust is light brown.

BTW: My pizza - I fork dough except at edges then put olive oil on dough then Ragu Old World Style Traditional Sauce (14 ounce bottle, split between 2 crusts), then top with about 1/2 cup chopped provolone then a couple tablespoons grated Parmesan and then 8 ounce bag (1 per crust) Mozzarella cheese & can top with some chopped up fresh parsley, oregano and basil (or any combination of the three).

Well first off, I' assuming you're using yeast that may be out dated or your water is to hot. Try this...

1 tsp yeast

1/2 cup plus warm water (105 to 110 degrees)

1 and1/2 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 Tbs olive oil

dissolve the yeast in the warm water for 10 min

in a mixer with the paddle attachment place all the ingredients except the olive oil

be sure not to put the salt directly on the dissolved yeast

use the lowest speed on the mixer

mix for three minutes

lightly oil the dough and a 1 Qt bowl

put the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap

let set at room temp for 1and1/2 to 2 hours

punch the dough down and return it to the bowl and refrigerate over night

2 hrs before use, remove the dough and cut in to desired size

place on baking tray and cover with plastic wrap

let dough come to room temp and double in size

this should take about 2 hrs

I used to work at California Pizza Kitchen and this is a breakdown of our recipe

this recipe makes 2 nine inch pizzas.

It took me a while to work this out for just a small batch, but it works very well !!!

1

I think your recipe is missing sugar of some kind. Yeast needs sugar to react.

This is the pizza dough recipe I use. It's from Wolfgang Puck and is easy to make. You can make this recipe without the fancy mixer attachments like dough hooks.

3 cups flour

1 cup warm water (between 95° and 115° F.)

1 packet yeast (2 ¼ tablespoons)

1 teaspoon honey

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

Dissolve yeast in water in a mixing bowl. Stir in the honey and let stand for 2-3 minutes, or until the liquid starts to bubble. Add the olive oil and stir.

Add flour and salt to the yeast mixture. Use a paddle attachment to mix, then change to a dough hook. Knead until the dough comes cleanly way from the sides and clusters around the hook about 5 minutes.

Turn out dough onto a clean work surface and briefly knead by hand. The dough should be smooth and elastic. When pressed, it should spring back slowly and not feel tacky.

Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm spot to rise for 30-60 minutes. When ready, the dough will stretch when gently pulled.

Divide dough into 2 pieces. Shape into balls. To remove air bubbles, roll each ball under your palm under smooth and firm, about 1 minute. Cover with plastic wrap coated with nonstick spray and let rise another 30-60 minutes.

Press dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Turn the dough, pressing on its center, to gradually spread it to a 7-8” circle or roll it out to 10-12” for a larger thinner crust. Press around the edge for a thicker raised rim. Transfer crust to a pan dusted with cornmeal or flour. Brush dough with oil and then top.

Does the recipe call for you to dissolve the yeast in very warm - but not hot - water? You have to get the yeast to activate before anything...it sounds like your recipe is missing a step!

Yeast recipes call for one of two yeast dissolving techniques:

Quick-mix method—Mix yeast with part of the flour and add very warm liquid (120°F to 130°F).

Traditional method—Dissolve yeast directly in warm water (105°F to 115°F).

That may be your problem as to why it's not rising and cooking correctly.

The rest of the recipe sounds like it's right!

Looking at your recipe -- I would say the problem is adding 2 tablespoons salt. Salt will retard the rise of yeast. A teaspoon would be more in line with most pizza recipes. You can always tell is your yeast is active by putting a small amount in a 110 degree small amount of water with a pinch of sugar and waiting a few minutes to see if it will begin to bubble and "rise".

To make a good pizza dough use a focacia bread

recipe. One big tip is not to make the water hot when

you dissolve the yeast --this kills the yeast--use luke

warm tap water.

Source(s): My source is my own experince. I em a pro chef.