major in accounting and major/minor in financing?

I am currently majoring in Accounting. I'm doing fine, not awesome, but not bad either. I don't hate it, and i dont love it. The reason is because I heard that accounting is easy to get jobs/intership and work my way higher in the future.

However, I've also thought about minoring in Finance because in my opinion, both of them seems to go well together.

Or I wonder if I should double major in both of them too? Wouldn't it look good on your resume when you try to apply for a job? I currently study at Cal State Dominguez Hills, Carson, CA. Planning to get master in Accounting and, if possible, try to pass the CPA exam.

Any leaders, professional people out there can help me out on this? Thanks for all of your input!! :D

Favorite Answer

I agree to do a double major in both even if it means more school or more tuition. Minors in Finance don’t mean much to companies. You might also find Accounting to be incredibly dull. I have friends who got CPAs and went straight to a Deloitte and were really disappointed. An accounting analyst usually just crunches numbers in Excel spreadsheets. I’ve heard that real estate and tax accounting can be fun. You can work for yourself or work in smaller teams.

It’s important to get the Finance degrees because it can open MANY more doors. There’s small to large corporate finance, securities finance (buy-side/sell-side), and knowing how to invest your own money. Don’t forget about real estate finance and discounting cash flow. A lot of interviewers will ask you how to value a property 20 years from now.

I don’t mean any disrespect, but you’re already at a disadvantage in the marketplace by going to a Cal State school, especially in LA. I’m not sure if Deloitte or Arthur Andersen even recruit at Cal State schools. It helps to get both degrees and a CPA so you can compete better with the UC kids, Stanford kids and Pomona kids.

Final tip is to learn how to golf and talk about college football.

I will say do a major in accounting and finance. Doing just a minor in Finance I don't think it be good. But i'm glad your using Accounting as your major because there are a lot accounting jobs and finding a intership be easy. I think you should do this get your Bachelor in Accounting and Finance and then go for CPA and after few yrs go for your Master in Accounting.

I hate to tell you this but that big demand the school told you about for accounting majors is for people who have 3-5 years experience, not new grads. Check out the job classifieds for yourself and you will see. I majored in that and threw in the insurance major as well, and never could find a job in it and never even had a legit interview. Now i got to nursing school. Are you parents downtown hotshots? Do they own a cpa firm? How will you get your foot in a door?