Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 decade ago

Does my wife need a visa to transit through a US airport?

She is from El Salvador and will fly to London via Miami or Los Angeles. She will not leave the airport in the US

Favorite Answer

Yes, you need one. The US suspended the Transit without a Visa program in 2003 as a result of the terrorist attacks in 2001, and has not reinstated that. Since the exceptions all have to do with people who were in transit at that time, or had recently purchased tickets, it will not help you.

If you would need a visa to travel in the US, you will need one to transit through the US.

I have added a link to the US Department of State's statement on this issue.

Later note: Several people have pointed out web sites that indicate that a transfer lounge is now used. Therefore my answer may be wrong. However, my reference is the official web site of the US State Department, which usually is not in error.

Were I the original poster, I would call the US Embassy in their country to resolve this rather than depending on any of us online.

You have received conflicting answers. This IS a difficult question. Yes, transit visas no longer exist, BUT there is a new process for foreign nationals transiting through the United States. See website below. Enter her nationality as from El Salvador, Transit country as U.S.A., destination as U.K. and clikck to see passport and visa info. It explains that she must report immediately to the Federal Inspection Services area. These passengers are then taken to a separate lounge for foreing nationals in-transit through the U.S. No U.S. visa is required, but they do have to go through the inspection, then wait in that lounge.

The most accurate way to check is using Timatic - I have worked for an airline and this is the best home method to work out whether your wife needs a visa. The only other way is for you or your wife to contact the relevant embassy.

Source(s): http://www.nwa.com/services/timatic.html and Personal Experience
  • funty

no if she is not going out of airport she doesnt need visa for u.s

I travel india very frequent and flew with different airlines few times. i dont need to take visa for all those via countries..

• Lex

Yes. Even if she doesn't leave the airport she will need a visa or she'll be sent back the country of origin.

As long as she does not leave the airport I believe she is fine.

As long as she does not leave the International Flights area (does not try to go through customs), no, she will not need her passport.

• Emily

no, if she's not leaving the airport, she does not need one.

as long it is just transit no

I think she does