The Maestro asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Question on tire rotation direction....?

I just purchased a new set of rims and tires for my road bike. I went from a 700x32 touring style setup to a 700x28 racing setup. The tires I purchased were Continental Ultra Gatorskins. They are darn near perfectly slick, with a very slight bit of tread pattern. I just realized that my bike shop mounted the rear tire backwards on the rim (the rotation arrow points in the opposite direction that the wheel will spin). My question is this, will it matter all that much? Can I get by for a few days riding like that, until I can flip it around? Or should I worry about remounting it before hitting the road? Keep in mind, I'm not doing any serious racing. Mainly a lot of urban riding as I like to bike to work through the city of Detroit.

Yes, I know I should contact my bike shop and point out the flaw. But my question is really about, can I ride just fine the way the tire is mounted.

Favorite Answer

Since the tires have slick centers, rotation direction is not critical. The tread pattern on the sides adds road grip when you lean into turns at high speed. Then rotation direction becomes important.

Yes, you can get by leaving it as it is for a few days until you get the chance to flip your rear tire.

That is unless you are an obsessive-compulsive geek like me. I'd have the image of backwards arrows nagging me all the time, that I'd quckly correct the orientation to have peace of mind.

• MtBikr

Black Sheep is on the right track. Their are two reasons for directional arrows. The first is the based on thread pattern, but this only pertains to tires with a tread. The second should concern those with slick tires. The directional arrow is there not for traction (you have a slick), but because of the way the cords are laid in when tire was being made. Look closely at drag slick there is a directional arrow, mount the tire the opposite way and heat it up, the cord will separate from the rubber. While bike tires normally won't raise to the same temperatures as car racing slicks, they do have less rubber between the road and the cord as a buffer, therefor allowing for easy heat transfer to the cord. Also when rolling the cord is being forced to move against the way it naturally wants to move. And if the cord and rubber separate you have no strength in the tire and it will blister and fail.

For these particular tires, NO it doesn't matter which way they were mounted. The reason a tire is given a designated rotation direction is usually because of the way they are threaded beneath the rubber and because of tread which affects water things like water runoff. Both are minimal. But if you're a little OCD about your bike like I am, you might want to grab some tire levers and flip that thing yourself...takes about 1 minute. peace.

Continental Gatorskin Direction

Treads on road bike tires serve absolutely no purpose. Don't worry about which way they're pointing.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awl2v

There will be an arrow on it generally with the word directional after the size eg 205/40/R17 et. another easy thing to do is look at the tread directional tyres look like arrows like this >>>>> if all else fails just Google the specific type of tyre IE Goodyear ( GSD3 ) and read about them

Like the other answers, it's not a big deal. Go ahead and ride flip it when you have a chance.