Is corn a vegetable?

I've been trying to come up with healthy dinners for my family. My mother always told me that you never put corn and a starch together in a dinner because corn is also considered a starch. Is she correct in saying this? Can I make a meal that has both corn and another starch (ie; potatoes)?

Favorite Answer

It may be a starch, but most people consider it a vegetable. That being said, here's something we enjoy at our house. Saute 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup corn kernels in 1 Tbs. butter until lightly browned. Add 1/2 cup rice and stir to coat with the butter. Stir in 1 cup water or stock and 1 tsp. salt (less if using stock). Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat 20-30 minutes until the rice is cooked.

Source(s): This serves 2.

Corn is a grain and is high in sugar and therefore high on the glycemic scale. Potatoes and other white starches are also high on the glycemic scale and they have an acidic pH as well.

Try whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, or bulgar. Those types of starches are complex and are healthier choices that will not be converted to fat as quickly as the white starches will.

your mother is right. corn is a starch. a complex chain of carbohydrates.

You can mix corn and potatoes if you like as you can mix rice and corn for example with other veggies to make a salad.

If you are looking after healthy do not overgo with the qty of each. It is too much carbohydrates for one meal. But if one day you want to mix them all you can.

• Maddy

Corn is technically a grain, but everyone uses it as a vegetable.

I'd say I sort of agree with your mom. I wouldn't say no to another starch along with it, especially potatoes! But I would say you definitely need another veggie in there too.

It is a vegetable in the food pyramid. It is a starchy vegetable/grain if you are counting carbs. Very high on the glycemic index. You can serve both or either. One is best at a meal especially if you have other carbs you are serving such as bread or potatoes. Mix in a green veggie, and you will have a balanced meal.

• Dew

I do all the time.I have this casserole dish that calls for corn and Potatoes. I love to have fried potatoes and corn on the cob with some nice thin pork chops.

Source(s): mom of 3 21 15 11

In my house it was also used as a starch. I use it as both, it depends how it is made. On the cob I would say veggie, in fritters its a starch.

corn is a starchy vegetable, like potatoes. we often had corn and mashed potato with our dinner. that's up to you. they are both healthy foods. just don't put a lot of butter and salt on either one.

Old wives and mothers.

you going to pass up corn on the cob with a spaghetti dinner and gralic bread..

Nonsense.

corn is found in the vegetable section of the produce dept.

along with the flowers of cauliflower and broccoli and fruit of tomatoes and squash ECT ECT

look in the dictionary

That way you do not waste points

Source(s): the Yahoo Toolbar Reference - Dictionary.

Corn is a vegetable and is the perfect protein. Don't know if its a starch or not.