does joseph ejersito estrada deserve a lifetime imprisonment?

Update:

must be a warning to all corrupt politicians!

shame on you corrupt politicians!

have fear! for GOD sees you!

come to think of it!!!!!!!! many people suffer for every peso you steal!

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't believe so. Erap Estrada had served the country as mayor, senator and vice president with little incident, meaning that at the said times, he had managed to do good things for this country. Many other politicians had stolen even more things from the motherland, with the difference being that *they* didn't get caught in the act. I'm thinking this is political manipulation... Erap is conveniently right there, so they blame everything on just one person and overlook all the others who do just the same right under our noses.

I'm not a supporter of Estrada. But I do believe that justice was not really served today. Lots of people who go free do worse things. I feel pain at seeing his downfall, as during his time, he had been the president who managed to garner a landslide of votes from the election, a sort of political icon for the masses.

• 1 decade ago

He deserves life imprisonment. Who really cares about him? After all the corruption that he has done to the Philippines, he deserves it. The media has been distorting the public's opinion on who Erap is. They only see him as an actor and that is why they idolize him. As far as what Erap has done for the country, nothing at all except for pocketing a lot of the people's money for himself!

• 1 decade ago

Pres. J. Estrada does not deserve lifetime imprisonment. We, the people, must show to the world and be a model that we treat our leaders as demigods and be respected because we are Christian nation hence we forgive any one who is sincere to have remorse. After all, the amount of plunder is of little value to him, as president. Filipinos have compassionate souls.

• 1 decade ago

Actually, his sentence is not a lifetime imprisonment as explained by Atty. Asuncion. Reclusion perpetua is 20 years and 1 year. Anyway, he does not deserve this kind of sentence because his crime is not so heinous as to have inflicted injury or death to a person. Plunder? Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos did more wrong for the country than Estrada yet, Imelda Marcos is free.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MatT
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No.

Come to think of it, all Philippine presidents have done their own graft and corruption - the difference between them and Estrada is that they were smart enough to hide their wrongdoings while Erap signed in front of Clarissa Ocampo.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think the verdict was for reclusion perpetua.

so if that is the punishment for the crime that he was found guilty of, then that is what he deserves, no ifs & buts, for justice should be enforced regardless of who ever was charged, that is a sign of a strong nation & people.

but does he have to go through it is another story. being a mayor, senator, & a president of the country do have its privileges. he can be pardoned or his punishment can be commuted, as respect for the position that he once held & of course because of humanitarian reasons, such as sickness or old age.

& besides being found guilty is punishment enough, & his name will forever be associated with his crime & for being caught doing it.

i just pray that this will serve as a warning to all other public servants who abuse their positions of power & authority.

• 1 decade ago

No. The man served the people for the longest time. A few mistakes in the highest office should not undo the greater good he has done. And what is jueteng money, anyway? It is from the gambling lords. He did not really steal from the people. Set him free, for God's sake!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, he deserve it and I hope this will be a warning to all corrupt officials.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

don't feel bad for the guy. let's not forget where he will be imprisoned. life imprisonment in tanay? his rest house! you call that imprisonment? he won't be mingling in our crowded jails together with the rest of the convicts. he will be in his centralized airconditioned rest house practically doing anything he wishes. the only thing he won't be able to do is go outside... he may as well build a swimming pool and other recreation there so that people can stay and visit him anytime. you call that too much? he's practically going unpunished if you ask me. in a few years he will be too old to wander about so he'll just be staying home...

• 1 decade ago

Someone said his plunder case is forgiveable. I agree. But I believe he deserves the worst punishment humanity ever conceived for being incompetent, inept, abusive and hipocrite in squandering the chances of the Philippines to take off economically, for germinating political instability and a leaving nation divided.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.