how to make homemade puff cereal w/ wheats and grains like barley, kamut, millet, quinoa, etc?

can u make it in an oven? or a popcorn maker?! many thanks! =)

Favorite Answer

Maybe this will help you:

Rice Krispies are an example of a puffed grain cereal, and the three puffed grains that you commonly see in the cereal aisle are rice, wheat and corn. There are also a lot of puffed dough cereals -- in the United States, you see Trix, Kix, Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs and so on. Puffing is very common in the breakfast cereal industry!

In the case of a Rice Krispy, you pop the rice similar to the way you pop popcorn. If you have read about how popcorn works, you know that you need three things to make popcorn: Moisture inside the kernel, starch inside the kernel and a hard shell to contain the pressure. Normal rice is missing the moisture, but if you condition it with steam to get enough moisture inside the kernel, you can either oven-pop rice or oil-pop it. It's not as dramatic a transformation as popcorn, but it pops using the same mechanism. Rice Krispies are oven-popped, which gives them the right texture to "snap! crackle! pop!" when milk is added.

Another common puffing method for rice (as in Quaker Puffed Rice), corn (as in Sugar Pops) or wheat (as in Sugar Smacks) is called gun puffing. You cook/condition the grain to get the moisture right and pressurize it to something like 200 PSI. Then you release the pressure instantly. The pressure stored inside the kernel puffs the kernel when the pressure is released. If you have ever heard a cereal ad that talks about "shooting the cereal out of a gun," this is what they are talking about! Puffing the rice makes it spongy instead of crispy.

In the case of puffed dough, you can create tiny dough balls and then hot-air pop them. If you heat a dough ball fast enough, the moisture in the dough flash boils and puffs the ball. A cereal like Cap'n Crunch is extruded, cooked, cut, pressurized, puffed and dried in a continuous process -- which is why you can see that the ends of each piece look like they've been squeezed.

• Katie

Yes you can but it's alot of work.. the tools you need is a wok and a recipe No wok? then Pot on Stove of course! You need baking powder ( this is what causes the puffing up) rice flour cornstarch water cooking oil and a small baby spoon mix above ingredients cottage cheese consistency except baby spoon of course and cooking oil! use baby spoon to drop batter into hot boiling oil and remove as soon as lightly golden. I usually get 6 dropped in then I remove the 1st add another 6 drops of batter and this continues until I decide there's enough! I prefer a electric wok cause it never gets too hot. Pot on the stove you will have to turn the heat down! Oh for variation you can add cream of wheat in the batter or oatmeal, or wheat germ. I've made these puffs many times.. Many have asked me where to buy them and I them I have made them. Another tip to make sure there are not too greasy put a small chunk of apple in the cooking oil. It works to keep food from being to greasy! The work is you have to be extremely fast or else you get burned puffs and you don't want that.. oh you don't have to make puffs you can make fortune cookies instead with the recipe but you gotta have the fortune notes pretyped and sanitized. Also you have to roll bits of batter in flour flatten place fortune on it and then fold over and drop in cooking oil If you want the sweet puffs or sweet fortune cookies add sugar to the batter. Add extra baking powder too!

I'm not sure, but you should try Kashi's Go Lean Crunch. It's so good!

The same question pops up again