Adding a DVD-Rom?

I have a Dell 1100 series. I currently have a CD-RW drive on my computer and i want to keep that and add a DVD-Rom under it. How easy is that? What is a good brand for a DVD-Rom? What to look for when buying one??

Favorite Answer

If your PC has an available slot, it's simple to add a DVD ROM. I recommend to buy a DVD-RW because the price is almost the same and you may need to burn some DVD in the future. Good brand is Sony, Toshiba, LiteOn, Samsung. Whichever is cheaper, just buy it. You have to check if your PC has IDE or SATA interface (I think yours is IDE). You can buy OEM drive from Newegg.com since they usually has good price. If you prefer the retail drive which is more reliable, I recommend to wait for Fry's or Circuit City has Sony drive on sale. Installation is simple, especially you've already has a CD-RW, which can share the same IDE cable. It is plug and play.

• OgieV

Do not buy DVD Rom only, take note that ROM means read only,

You should buy DVD-writer, LG works fine, it has good software bundle in a cd, that you can create dvd, vcd, movies of your own options..easy to install...

• ruble

The plastic section on the front could desire to prise out they normally have lugs on the two facets. And the steel section could desire to knock out. while you're attatching the 2d Cd rom to the comparable ribbon by way of fact the single that is in examine the jumper settings. Set your maximum suitable force to comprehend & the different to slave. Or if it is going alongside with your troublesome force, set the cd rom to slave. The jumpers are the little plugs that circulate around the prong contraptions on the returned of the drives,

• s j

Get a DVD-RW --only a few dollars more that a DVD-Rom.

I use NEC3550s. You can put it on the same cable as your CD-RW as long as one is master and one the slave.

• Pyria

it's not hard to install if you pay attention to what you are doing.

make sure the cables are connected correctly and tightly.

The faster the speed for the DVD the better, you also might want to consider getting a dual layer burner

i like NEC brand or liteon .. get a burner ... it seems to work out best to put the optical drives on the same ide cable and make the dvd drive the master for me ...

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCa...

.

• Z

just set the new one up as a slave, it will have a jumper on the back to switch

Source(s): MCSE

yes u can have both , LG is good