Anonymous

Since the definition of slavery is "1.Drudgery, Toil" + the main synonym of those words is "work," r we slaves

Why is it that over half the population are not happy with their jobs? Is the working class living in slavery in some sense? Is there a better way to structure the flow of goods and services?

Favorite Answer

http://www.just-define.com/slavery-definition.htm

Definition of slavery

slavery

n 1: the state of being under the control of another person [syn:

bondage, thrall, thralldom, thraldom]

2: the practice of owning slaves [syn: slaveholding]

3: work done under harsh conditions for little or no pay

As defined in: WordNet (r) 2.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slavery \Slav"er*y\, n.; pl. Slaveries. [See 2d Slave.]

1. The condition of a slave; the state of entire subjection

of one person to the will of another.

Disguise thyself as thou wilt, still, slavery, said

I, still thou art a bitter draught! --Sterne.

I wish, from my soul, that the legislature of this

state [Virginia] could see the policy of a gradual

abolition of slavery. It might prevent much future

mischief. --Washington.

2. A condition of subjection or submission characterized by

lack of freedom of action or of will.

The vulgar slaveries rich men submit to. --C. Lever.

There is a slavery that no legislation can abolish,

-- the slavery of caste. --G. W. Cable.

3. The holding of slaves.

Syn: Bondage; servitude; inthrallment; enslavement;

captivity; bond service; vassalage.

As defined in: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

77 Moby Thesaurus words for "slavery":

abjectness, absolutism, attendance, baseness, bond service,

bondage, captivity, control, debt slavery, deprivation of freedom,

dirty work, disenfranchisement, disfranchisement, domination,

donkeywork, drudge, drudgery, employ, employment, enslavement,

enthrallment, fag, fatigue, feudalism, feudality, grind, handiwork,

handwork, hard labor, helotism, helotry, indentureship, industry,

labor, lick, lick of work, manual labor, meanness, menialness,

ministration, ministry, moil, peonage, plugging, rat race,

restraint, scut work, serfdom, serfhood, servility, servitium,

servitorship, servitude, slavishness, spadework, strain, stroke,

stroke of work, subjection, subjugation, submissiveness,

subservience, subserviency, sweat, task, tendance, thrall,

thralldom, tiresome work, toil, travail, treadmill, tyranny,

vassalage, villenage, work, yoke

As defined in: Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0

SLAVERY. The state or condition of a slave.

2. Slavery exists in most of the southern states. In Pennsylvania, by

the act of March, 1780, for the gradual abolition of slavery, it has been

almost entirely removed in Massachusetts it was held, soon after the

Revolution, that slavery had been abolished by their constitution; 4 Mass.

128; in Connecticut, slavery has been totally extinguished by legislative

provisions; Reeve's Dom. Bel. 340; the states north of Delaware, Maryland

and the river Ohio, may be considered as free States, where slavery is not

tolerated. Vide Stroud on Slavery; 2 Kent, Com. 201; Rutherf. Inst. 238.

As defined in: Bouvier's Law Dictionary, Revised 6th Ed (1856)

Drudgery Synonym

There is a much better way but the powers that be don't care about workers. They care about the work and themselves.

Unions are out. They are needed again because of how things have become. But they cannot work in isolation. Unfortunately, as long as you have money, you can be a boss. You don't have to be smart or intelligent to run a company. It's a game. We are slaves. We live a lie. I don't want to be negative but the more I experience and the more I read, see, etc. the more it makes me think. Of course, things are more complicated. But there is hope for the future and there always will be. In college, I remember some major slackers who had it made. It did upset me because they didn't deserve it. They hadn't earned it. It set in motion the wheels that would turn in my head to remember how unfair and how unjust our world is. If slackers are making it then how can people think that so many of us that aren't making it are slackers. Please. It couldn't be further from the truth. I work very hard and always have. I try and I will never give up. But life is hard and it is not fair. It is not just. Everyone has different talents and skills. I have a learning disability that I work hard to overcome but it does hold me back. If I didn't have it, I'll probably be an Ivy Leaguer. I'm not kidding. I have a very strong work ethic. I know there are lots of people like me. There are lazy people but they are everywhere. It's enough that people think they are the majority when they aren't. TG for that! I'm glad that I don't believe they are.

Main Synonym

It is amazing how many people believe that they shouldn't have to work. If you are unsatisfied with your job get another one!

Except for people that have inherited their money, most people who have "a lot of money" have worked hard, delayed gratification, and been creative. Certainly there is some luck as well, but you create your own luck by working hard, learning and seeking out opportunities.

In the history of the world, it has never been easier to earn a living and acquire wealth, particularly in the United States. All goods and services are created by work. Socialism and communism have been complete failures everywhere they have been tried. Capitalism brings the greatest amount of prosperity to the greatest number of people.

• S&yW

yes, we are slaves for the paycheck in order to take care of our families and what responsibilities we have in order to carry out that objective; and that might be the reason we aren't happy with the jobs we have. there may be some that happened to luck into a job, and because of the years of service & raises associated with yearly anniversary increases, taking another job and starting at the bottom, we'd lose a big part of the income we have grown adjusted to having.

Slavery is more of a confines of the mind than the body. But I do agree as per definition.