White Sapphire as an engagement ring?

I told my boyfriend that after watching the movie Blood Diamond, I DO NOT want a diamond engagement ring. However, now that I know he's about to propose with a gemstone(white topaz or white sapphire) I kinda wonder if people will think he's being cheap. Is that crazy?! I really don't know why I care... show more I told my boyfriend that after watching the movie Blood Diamond, I DO NOT want a diamond engagement ring. However, now that I know he's about to propose with a gemstone(white topaz or white sapphire) I kinda wonder if people will think he's being cheap. Is that crazy?! I really don't know why I care what others will think anyway. But is that kinda saying our relationship isnt the "real thing"?
Update: I'm tripping...I really DONt care what others think...I'm just such an activist and so anti-traditional, I just worry if I should stop and "conform" to the usual wedding traditions.
Update 2: Thanks guys for the great advice and assurance. The whole wedding thing is new and I just wasn't 100% positive. But after reading what sapphires and/or blue topaz represent I'm much more confident in choosing a non-diamond to represent the non-traditional couple that we are. Thanks!!