vijay asked in TravelCanadaCalgary · 1 decade ago

Hi which area would be ideal to settle down with my family in Calgary Canada, and which to avoid? Thanks a lot

Favorite Answer

Hi Vijay...

There are a few different things to consider when deciding on where to live in Calgary: cost (including buying versus renting), where you are working or attending school, social needs, and personal likes/desires.

Calgary is basically separated into four quadrants: NW, NE, SE, and SW.

Broken down into the four quadrants (for arguments sake, let's just assume both downtown and the "inner city", which is between downtown and the suburbs, is out of the question for you since you indicated you will be settling down with a family), here are the pro's and cons of each:

NW - Very desirable area, good schools, close to university and technical college, excellent proximity to mountains (which results in excellent mountain views from most of the communities in this quadrant), hilly (as opposed to flat), very good access to downtown (corporate sector), good access to LRT (Calgary's public transit train system), fairly expensive homes (approx $450K to $700K for an average home). Some of the most desirable family communities in the NE are Tuscany, Royal Oak, Arbour Lake, Citadel, Rocky Ridge, Edgemont, Hamptons.

NE - Lots of ethnic shops, schools, churches (the vast majority of Calgary's muslim community resides in the NE), highest crime rate in Calgary, good access to downtown and LRT, not very close to post secondary institutions, flat as opposed to hilly, least expensive area for homes (approx. $250K to $400K for an average home), good access to the airport (which can also mean increased noise). A fair bit of industrial businesses call the NE home. Some of the "least desirable" areas in the NE are Martindale, Taradale, Falconridge, Pineridge, Marlborough. Some of the better NE communities would include Panaroma Hills, Coventry Hills, Harvest Hills and Evanston.

SE - This one's tricky... the further South you go in SE, the nicer the areas tend to be, like Douglasdale, Lake Chapparal, New Brighton, Lake Bonavista and Parkland (all of which have homes in the $500K to 900K range) but all of which also have some serious commuting issues to getting downtown. The shopping and schools are good there, but there's limited access to post secondary. The further East you go in SE, the scarier the neighborhoods get - Dover, Forestlawn, Forest Heights and Pembrooke should be avoided if at all possible - though these areas are the cheapest (houses range from $180K to about $250K) that comes with a multitude of problems that just aren't worth it if you can avoid that area. Additionally, the bulk of Calgary's industrial sector is in the SE.

SW - Desirable area, with good access to both downtown and the mountains (and the promise of a new LRT route being built in the next few years to that area, improving the access to downtown even more), good shopping and schools, good access to Mount Royal College, some issues with Native Tribes concerning a future "ring road" planning to be built through native lands, some flat and some hilly areas, fairly expensive housing (approx $450K to $800K for an average home. Some of the most desirable (And expensive - $800k plus!!) communities in the SW include Licoln Park, Palliser, Pumphill, Strathcona, St Andrews Heights and Tanglewood. Some of the more modest communities in the SW include Cedarbrae, Woodbine, Shawnessy and Sundance.

Rent in each of these areas will vary, of course, but on average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $1000/mth to $1800/mth for an average 2 or 3 bedroom condo, not including any utilities, and considerably more if you're thinking of renting a house.

Now, having said all that, where you eventually settle will depend a lot on your personal preferences. Personally, I live in the NW and I really like it up there - hubby and I both work downtown, and our morning commute takes about 25 minutes... slightly longer to get home in the afternoon. Great schools for our teens, and close to the University when the time comes. Excellent shopping and recreational facilities. Love going camping in the mountains during the summer, and skiing in the winter. You could choose to settle in one of Calgary's "bedroom" communities, like Okotoks (south of Calgary), Airdrie (North), Chestermere or Strathmore (both East), or Cochrane (West), but the housing prices are about the same, and the extra commuting time can make it prohibitive.

Make sure you do a lot of research before finalizing your decision - where you live can have a HUGE impact on your quality of life. Good luck to you!!

• SteveN

I have an aunt that lives in Calgary SE near Deerfoot Trail and she loves the area. It is a safe and friendly atmosphere with several schools and parks nearby. Shopping is a few minutes away. I have been there several times and never had any issues, so not sure why your other responder says to stay away from it. Only thing I heard was real estate is very expensive in this area, although it is high all over Calgary.

On the other hand, I have not felt as safe in the Southwest part of town. It is a bit older and has an area with a lot of bars. My cousin lived in that area and he told me that they used to see people dealing drugs in that area. That was 5-6 years ago and he moved out so can't tell you how it is now.

I also liked Northeast area when I was there, except that you have the airport nearby. Because of that, the property prices may be a little less expensive in that area.

But hey, don't take my word for it as a tourist...wait and see what other people say about it. I would also check the other questions about Calgary. I saw some other questions similar to this one in this section.

The North west is very nice. the south west is a bit expensive. Most of the Northeast is nice and you just want to stay away from the south east.