Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 decade ago

how do you find what was on the front page of a newspaper from December 19, 1995?

I want the Province newspaer from Vancouver BC

Best Answer

Hi -

I'm a librarian from the Anne Arundel County Public Library system, and am part of Maryland AskUsNow, an online chat reference service.

I looked at the Province newspaper website and found that they only have archives online for two weeks back. However, the Vancouver Public Library offers "Canadian Newsstand: fulltext newspaper database which includes complete text from both the Province (from 1989) and the Vancouver Sun (from 1987) to 2 days back." That looks like a great source (though you probably need a library card for the VPL to access the database when you are not in a VPL branch), except that the entire library system is closed because of a strike!

It looks, however, like the Library and Archives Canada have the Province on microfilm and they may be able to help you. Their contact information is at http://www.collectionscanada.ca/contact/index-e.ht...

There is a toll free number there that you can call from the States: 1-866-578-7777 (toll free in Canada and the US)

I did not see any libraries in the states that had microfilm of the Province.

Best of luck with your search!

Cindy Hackett

Annapolis Branch

Anne Arundel County Public Library

Maryland AskUsNow

Source(s): I used the internet to try and identify sources that would have microfilm of the newspaper back to 1995.

You need to either visit the newspaper office and ask to visit what they call their morgue (that's where they keep old issues, most likely on microfiche), or visit a library in Vancouver, BC and go to the research section with your request -- again you'll probably get to sort through a lot of old microfiche. You might also simply contact the paper if you live a distance away and make a request.

Go to the library there. They have it all on microfilm.