Why won't a seller take a lower offer than $XXX... even if the market is soft and that would mean not selling?

Let's say you find a home and your realtor tells you that the seller "probably" won't go down much in price because they don't have much equity in the house. The seller only bought the house 2 years ago. I'm kinda thinking that they are one of the buyers that might about to be... show more Let's say you find a home and your realtor tells you that the seller "probably" won't go down much in price because they don't have much equity in the house. The seller only bought the house 2 years ago.
I'm kinda thinking that they are one of the buyers that might about to be foreclosed on.
Anyway, our agent says they purchased it for $173,000. Now they are trying to sell, in a very slow and soft market for $187,900 and aren't willing to budge much at all on price, because they upped the listing price on the home by $14,900 in order to cover their initial investment and the cost of paying the agent listing it for them.
Maybe buyer's agents don't want them to come down in price either, for risk of not getting a good commission. The owners could end up stuck with this house for a long time if they don't come down. I kinda wonder who's side my agent is on? Yeah I want them to come down in price so we can buy it.