Survival food...?

Hi.

Ok, I am soooo poor. I'm vegan as well. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on cheap, essential food that I can survive on for a while. I have been eating a lot of the same old stuff now I want some ideas on cheap food but food that still tastes good and things that I will still get my vitamins and nutrients from. I'd appreciate your tips.

Thanks!

I've been vegan a while. I know what foods are and arent vegan. I'm just looking to mix it up best I can while still staying very very very cheap.

Thanks! :)

Favorite Answer

i'm so sorry, capee. we're in the same boat. we went to the walmart (ick!) the other day with a $13 food budget. we normally shop at a health foods store, but we're sooooo broke :(

first and foremost, it's important that you get all your nutrients from fruits and veggies. opt for the more nutritient-abundant veggies, such as broccoli, kale, spinach, baby romaine, or a baby lettuce mix.

get a box of cereal, some oatmeal, and various nuts. also get some brown rice, some pasta, and serve those with your veggies.

how about some beans and tortillas? you'd be surprised how satisfying some mashed pinto beans and corn tortillas can be when you're hungry :)

you can whip up a pasta salad with some fresh veggies, salt, and pepper. or you can make a simple quiche with tofu. vegweb.com has a ton of recipes that are both inexpensive and easy to make.

do you have a trader joe's near you? you can get some pretty good stuff at a decent price there.

hope i helped :)

best wishes!!

EDIT: i forgot to mention... if you ever want a super easy, super cheap way of preparing kale, just mix 2 tbsp. flax (or olive or any salad dressing-type) oil, 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, and 2 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds. steam the kale until it's bright green (but don't overcook) and pour the mixture on. now, devour the whole thing!

Buy canned or frozen foods whenever posible. Frozen has more vitamins and nutrients. But canned spagetti sauce. It's the same thing as the one in the can but cheaper. Im not talking about the genaric brand either , same brand just in a can. Buy all the beans you can dry. They have more vitamins in them anyway. The secret to them is to soak them overnight. Don't try to cook them without soaking them. They turn out hard and nasty.

Do you eat tofu. That's normally cheap. Here at Walmart it's a dollar -twenty. That has alot a vitamins and nutrients.

Look at the fresh vegetables. Notice the ones that are really cheap? Get those. Look on the internet for recipes so you can eat the whole thing and not waste any.

Oh, lastly buy the frozen juice in the cans. They are cheaper. Just make sure the ingreadients say juice and water and that's it. If not it's got extra sugar and bad things like that inside and it's not really juice it's more like kool aid.

This should help you out at least a little.

Been shopping cheap for over 9 years. I can go to Walmart and buy 30 food items for me to eat and spend around 35 dollars. How many people can do that without buying every thing generic. I've got some kinda tallent in this area.

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv/ and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

Bags of rice, beans, and bananas are really cheap. For cheap veggies stick to store-brand canned veggies (about 50¢ a can). A lot of vegans don't like processed foods, but if price is your motivating factor, go canned (be sure to check the labels, a LOT of companies put animal fat into canned veggies). I live waaaay out in the country (East Texas), and there is no health food store within 40-50 miles. My only options for food are Wal-Mart or a gas station's questionable goods. WM's produce section is usually a fly orgy, so I tend to buy a lot of frozen or canned goods.

• justme

Peanut butter on whole grain bread. Tofu or tempeh stir fries with rice and veggies. Black bean soup. Red beans and rice. Vegetarian burritos and quesadilla. Veggie wraps with homemade hummus. Homemade lentil soup. Salads topped with baked tofu and beans. Whole wheat spaghetti primavera. Whole grain cereals. There are lots of inexpensive vegan foods.

Whoa, those anybody is disgusting. till you will wander off in a snarled place, you mustn't could hotel to bugs. in case you're on the component of a river, there will be moss. Moss sounds undesirable, in spite of the undeniable fact that that's somewhat many nutrition, it certainly starves a number of the timber. till ur a boyscout, stray from mushrooms, many are poisonous, or make u hallucinate. besides, continually save some ramon noodles.

• Meg

Unfortunately the only thing health food stores are concerned with is the health of their bottom line. Most of their things are overpriced because they prey on the cult paranoia and fervor of vegans and vegetarians.

It's unfortunate that you have to suffer their greed.

• KathyS

Whole wheat pasta, beans, peanut butter, frozen store brand veggies.

Fried rice....use whatever veggies you can get you hands on and fry them down in a little oil,,,,when they are soft,,,,add ever however many eggs you like and scramble them in.....Take rice that is already cooked,,,,,and add to your scrambled mix....really cheap and good.

Green onions, pea pods, broc,,,shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, almost any veggie will work....just chope them up in small pieces...if you have some Soy Sauce, that would be perfect to add a little of that...

Move in with Allie and me and we'll buy the food, just hook us up with a threesome and we'll be cool.