Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 decade ago

How many deaths occur in the world each day? How many are AIDS related?

It occurred to me as I was looking at the latest iPod models. Apple's link to (RED) products, which support AIDS relief in Africa, claims that 5800 people die from AIDS in Africa... every day. I'm not an activist or anything, but this concerns me, and here's why:

My last trip to the museum of science in Boston revealed that a person dies on earth every six seconds. There are 86400 seconds in each day (25x60x60) so that means 14400 people die each day. For 5800 people to die in Africa, each day, alone seems impossible. That would mean that 40 percent of worldwide deaths occur in Africa, add that to the fact that those 40 percent die of AIDS. Either the problem is worse than we thought, or the (RED) advertising campaign is padding it's numbers in the worst way possible.

Can anyone verify this?

sorry, I mistyped some math, I meant to say (24x60x60). There are not 25 hours in a day.

Favorite Answer

Believe it or not, that is an accurate estimate. 2.9 million per year worldwise, an average of 7945 people die each day from AIDS. That works out to 331/hour or 5.5 per second. The majority of those people that die are in fact in Africa.

2136000 die each year in Africa/Middle East from AIDS.

5852 per day

243 per hour

4 each second.

The problem really is worse than you thought. In industrialized countries, the number of infected is lower because of education and protection. In third world countries, their is little to no education, fewer resources, and more rape.

Industrialized countries have fewer deaths because of available immune treatments and healthcare. Third world countries don't have nearly as many options. So while at home everything seems hunky dory, if you take a look at the big picture it really isn't.

• Felepe

erm. who gives? i dont. its not me dying right. especially aids. the quicker they die, the less the could infect others. its an epidemic now.