Where were you when you heard news of the attack on September 11th 2001?

I was in Phoenix, AZ. I was 17 years old and had spent the night at my best friends house.I had promised her little sister I would drive her to school so she wouldn't have to take the bus, and she woke me up about 15 minutes before she had to leave, I flipped on the TV while I waited for her to finish getting ready. The first image I saw was the attack on the pentagon. After driving my friend's sister to school, we watched in horror all day long as each event unfolded, the second plane, the buildings collapsing, our nation in heartache.My friend and I got permission from our parents to give blood and headed for the Red Cross, where we proudly saw our community coming together to give what little they could, their blood for the victims.The line was literally around the block only hours after the news shocked the country.

I have never been so saddened for our country and yet so proud for our ability to give to each other in time of crisis.

Where were you and what did you observe?

Favorite Answer

At school. It was the weirdest most surreal day of my life. I felt like I was watching a horrible movie...

I still can't get it out of my head - that was a day that changed my life.

I think I was the very last American to find out. I can't quite remember why, but I know that I didn't wake up until 3pm that day. I immediately got on the computer, AOL was my ISP at the time, and even though there was a big headline and image right on the first screen when you log in, I was too groggy to notice. So I must have been browsing the internet or something when I turned the ringer on my phone back on. My mother finally got through to me at aobut 3:30 pm and told me that the WTC had been attacked. My response was something along the lines of: "Doesn't this kinda thing happen all the time?" I was absolutely clueless at the time. I had never payed much attention to current events, or history for that matter, so I didn't realize the difference between our attacks in the middle east and attacks on American soil. I truly thought that things like this happened all the time until I learned exactly what the WTC was and it didn't take long to figure out just how big this was. Since 9/11/01, I have taken a special interest in being informed about the world around me. I am so embarrassed and feel so naive for the way I was back then. I have since taken several courses in college such as political science, american history, etc., and I can't believe just how uninformed I was. 9/11 had an effect on me that I could have never imagined; it made me want to find out more, and be more aware of political issues.

I was in a rental car on my way to a job site in Hackensack, NJ - which is just across the river. For the first time, I was listening to a CD instead of the radio. I was entering an elevator when my husband tried to call my cell to tell me of the first tower getting hit. I sat in an office waiting for the coordinator, wondering where she went, when I hear on the radio of the second tower getting hit. I contacted my husband to make sure we understood what was going on. The coordinator comes in and she and I go to find a TV elsewhere in the hospital. We are offered by a security guard to see the towers from the heliport - we respectfully declined. I could not bring myself to see it before my very eyes in the sky. Seeing it on TV was hard enough. My work day was done. I attempted several times to contact family to ensure them my safety since they didn't know if I would be flying or traveling to the city that day. I finally was able to get through to give the assurance. I donated blood while at the hospital and took myself home on an eerily empty NJ Turnpike. I cried many times that day, and for many more days afterwards.

I heard many stories first hand of people who were not where they were suppose to be that day, which potentially saved their lives. Some played hooky, other's were waiting for the gas man, some were running late, etc.

About a month later, I was back on a plane again for work, praying harder then ever to get me to my destination and back home in one piece.

I was going home from the graveyard shift, when I noticed the incredible traffic jam on the highway, I was already in Killeen Texas where I live but still had some more traveling before I could get off the highway. The traffic went very far, it was several miles on and went to Fort Hood, I thought something there or an accident had happened, I turned on radio to find out the tragic news.MAY THE GREAT SPIRIT BLESS THEM ALL.............

I was at a bookstore, buying children's books for a teaching job that I was going to be starting the next week. My friend called me and asked me to pick him up at work because they were closing down the mall to show respect for all those who lives were lost. I hadn't heard the news yet (I had been listening to CDs in my car, not the radio) and was shocked to learn what had happened. Starting school the next week was hard because all the five-year-olds in my class had seen the events on TV and were scared that our school would be hit. I had to ask parents to not let there chidlren see the news since it was causing such unexplainable heartaches to such little bodies who couldn't understand they that were seeing replays of the events, and that it wasn't happening again everytime they saw it on TV.

I got up at 4am to be at work at 5am, I'm on the west coast so by the time I got to work the attacks had just started. Then the director came and told me that a co-worker had just called and said what just happened and that they'll come in and cover my shift in cause I was called up. (I was in the reserve's at the time) and while all this was happening my wife was about to get up and start planning for my birthday party that night. Thats right my b-day is Sept. 11th. So now everyone who ask's or when I get carded I always get a comment like "you have a famous birthday now". Ya its famous for a terrible reason!

I was 19...I remembering turning on the TV as soon as I woke up...I was still in bed, remote control in one hand...when I realized what I was watching...at first I was under the impression it was a dream.....I flip the channel to another station right when the tower was going down...wow, I will never forget…….........that mornings usual drive to work was so quit...I remember being at a red light, and looking over to the person in the vehicle to my right...they looked nervous...with a blank expression.

I was substitute teaching at a Jr. high school in Graham, TX.

I was 31 yrs. old I was working in the Library when my husband called to tell me. The school was supposed to get cable tv, but some roofers had knocked the cable loose over the summer. We turned on the radio and listened as the towers fell.

One of the teachers went home on her lunch break and recorded CNN for an hour. She brought the tape back to school and we fed it to the class rooms over closed circut tv.

My son was in this school (6th grade) and I went to his room and told him what was going on. I remember being very frightened for my daughter in 4th grade acrossed town. At lunch rumors were rampant about planes being shot down, cars on fire in the DC National Mall, and all sorts of things.

That night in our town, gas went from roughly $1.50 to close to $2.25 a gallon. People were freaking out.

• joe s

I was at home and saw it all on TV. My cousin worked in the WTC. I remember trying to find out if he made it out or not. I couldn't get through to him, his parents, or his wife because the phone system was so overloaded. It wasn't till early in the afternoon that I found out he was off site at customer for a meeting. I found out from his mother-in-law who was at the Jersey Shore that his sister-in-law (who lived in FL.) heard from his wife that he was OK.

His co-workers perished that day. His office was where the 2nd plane crashed into.

I was in my 1st grade class, actually I was at recess. I'm so greatful that I didn't have loved ones there at that time! I have so much sympathy to the ones who did and who lost them in such a terrible tragedy! 7 years tomorrow that it happened and it seems like it was just yesterday. Thanks to all the people who risked or lost their lives to save people from that building. For those of you who lost a loved one on 9/11 Stay Strong becuase it was that day on 9/11/01 that the good lord called them home! just remember that they are in a better and safer place!

I was at school...must have been about 11 and came home to the news being on and i just didn't really take much of it in, being as young as i were...well i wasn't that young but i was i guess you could say in awe, how could such a heineous crime have been comitted?!

this world saddens me. To think of such filth living in it. I don't know why we can't all just GET ALONG.