Activity Ideas?

What are some ideas for activities for my 9 month old during the day? She seems bored with her current routine. Thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Messy, messy, messy! Sensory activities stimulate cognitive and creative skills, as well as building her motor skills! Try giving her a new substance every day, in a bowl or a bin, with a plastic sheet or tablecloth on the floor under her. Leave her in just a diaper if it's warm enough, so cleanup will go a lot more smoothly! Corn starch mixed with water makes 'goop', which is safe and a lot of fun for babies to mess around in. Also, try jell-o, cereal, pasta or rice, pom poms... anything with an interesting texture. Give her some scoops or spoons to use, and watch as she pours the stuff from one scoop to the other with a look of sheer delight on her face!

If you're not afraid of a little noise, pots and pans and a wooden spoon is a favourite among babies... gives them a sense of rythm and awareness of their extremeties.

Stamps are also another fun activity... make sure the ink is non-toxic and washable first. Crayola makes some amazing products these days.

Things like giving a baby (doll) a bath in a bin full of water with some dish soap and a washcloth will also build her social/emotional skills, and it's also a great way to help her understand how to act around other babies, as you teach her about being gentle and careful with the doll!

Lego is timeless... get her some big block lego, and soon she'll be building towers as high as she can. Since she's still young, it may take awhile for her to get used to putting the pieces together, but it'll be a good work in process.

To strengthen those tiny legs, put on some music, and groove along with it, she'll dance along with you. If you have a surface that is at arm's length for her, it'll be a good place for her to hold on to while she dances and stretches her legs.

For a quieter activity, try surrounding her with soft pillows and toys, and give her a bright and colourful book. Books with different textures on them and features which allow the baby to interact with the book (like buttons and knobs and pop-ups) will keep her interest longer than other books and will amuse her!

Hope this helps... you can contact me if you'd like more ideas... I'm taking Early Childhood Education and have been working with children for years, so I've got a million ideas to share.

• 1 decade ago

If the day is busy already, maybe just change the order of the current routine.

Try adding blocks, tossing/rolling a ball, music, rolling around on the floor together.

• 1 decade ago

Put on some music that you like and dance together. Take her to the park and look at the trees, flowers, ect. Go for a walk around the neighborhood. Take a bath.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.