Do i need a knife with a gut hook?

I am new hunter. I have ben a sport shooter for years and i want to get some real game in my sights. my fav knife company are cold steel kershaw and frost, i am just wondering how usefull i a knife with gut hook on big game? there handy with fish but what about deer and elk?

Best Answer

No you don't "need" a gut hook....that said I love mine. I hunted 20 plus years before I got one 10 or so years ago and I have been the envy of my hunting group since.

For the last 8 years I have averaged gutting 3-4 deer per season (not all mine). I have never had an issue with sharpness of the hook or hair clogging or any other problems. It works like a zipper. It does not have as sharp of a point as my other knives but that has not been a problem for me.

Source(s): lots o experience
  • lawlor

Hunting Knife With Gut Hook

• wooton

Gut Hook Knife

In my many years of hunting experience I have found that there are two types of knife to avoid. The first is the serrated blade and the second is the gut hook. Both are very hard to sharpen and neither serves any purpose that isn't better served by a straight bladed knife. I agree on your selection of brands. You might also include Buck knives in your selection. For most hunting, I have found that a nice well made folder is your best bet. Most all game can be field dressed with a 4 inch blade. If you are hunting really large game, a blade of 6 inches might be better but then you are talking about a fixed blade knife AKA belt knife. My all time favorite hunting knife that has a fixed blade is the Cold Steel Master Hunter. My favorite folder is a Buck but I can't remember the name of the model. Bottom line..... forget the gut hook 'cuz it ain't all it's cracked up to be. Get a blade that is made of a good carbon steel. It is easier to sharpen and it holds an edge better than stainless. Just be sure to thoroughly clean it and wipe the blade with a food grade oil such as cooking oil to keep it from rusting. Regular machine oil will prevent rust better than cooking oil but it will give the meat an off taste if it isn't thououghly washed off before going afield. You sure don't want your venison to taste like 3 in 1 oil.

• JD

The only people that don't like gut hooks are the ones who haven't had the experience of field dressing a large game animal while hunting. The gut hook is not only practical but useful as well.

If you ever tried to open a chest or abdominal cavity with a flat blade knife and pierced the stomach, intestines or bladder by accident.Then as a result ruined a perfectly good hind quarter of meat, You would wish you had a gut hook...If you cut a small shallow slit low on the abdominal wall of your game, you use the gut hook because it's controlled as to how deep it cuts. You can then literally open up the entire area like a "zipper" with no punctured organs at all. This will work great weather you are field dressing your game hanging from a tree limb or laying on the ground. Saves time, saves additional mess, and loss of any meat thru accidents with a conventional blade.

I've read the answers so far and wonder. If gut hooks are as useless as some have said, than why do over 80% of hunting knives on the maket have them? The answer is simple THEY WORK....It's not a gimmick..but a viable useful tool if you know how to use one..Anyone who says different doesn't know anything about them to begin with...

Source(s): 3 Season Deer Hunter/ NRA Life Member 30 Years Firearms & Hunting Experience.....

I have both types of knives. I find the gut hook to be more useful on the larger animals such as elk and moose. But they do a good job on deer and caribou too. Elk and moose have large amounts of fat but it is inside the body cavity and attached to the muscle area. The stomach has very little fat to get in the way. At least in the belly skin part. I start at the bottom near the anus and cut around it, pull the lower gut out a little then tie it off with heavy cord. Then from that hole in the skin I go on up to the sternum just like many have said, it is like unzipping a bag. When I get to the sternum then I switch to the blade side and using an up and away from me motion I cut the breast bone to the top. Then cut up to the underside of the jaw and take the wind pipe and esophagus's out and then pull it down to the gut area. After that all that is required is to roll the animal over on it's side and dump the guts out. The guts are attached to the back bone area with small skin strips so you may have to nip them off.

Done deer.

Sarge

No, no, no, no, no, no, NO! Gut hooks are horrible. They do not allow good control of your cutting and they get clogged very easily with hair. They are a bad idea. Check out knives of alaska, they make amazing solid knives that have been the best out there until recently that is. The new king on the block is Diamondblade Knives. They have reinvented knives, literally, and are truly a cut above the rest. Check out the website and reviews online and you'll see why they are a revolution!

JD IS HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT! GUTTED PLENTY OF ANIMALS NO PIERCED GUTS!!!

HE NEEDS TO LEARN HOW TO USE A KNIFE!

I'd go with a straight up hunting knife, a lockback folder in a quality leather pouch, since sheath (fixed blade) knives are illegal to carry where I live. A gut hook is a useless frill on a knife and a gut hook knife in itself is just extra weight to carry and a wasre of money.

Quality brands like Gerber or Buck, and kept well honed works for me.

I was always a standard fixed blade fan until I was given a Buck knife with drop point and gut hook. I've never looked back.

This little debate is down to personal preference, its what works for you.

Source(s): 30 years exp UK hunter and shoot owner.
  • randkl

In twenty or thirty years when guthooks are but a passing memory, you can look back and know that, hopefully anyway, you never wasted your money on one.

Addendum to the unnamed fellow below who came up with the brilliant logical retort of "If gut hooks are as useless as some have said, than why do over 80% of hunting knives on the maket have them?"

My answer to that is "same as the can opener on a Leatherman/Gerber/Swiss Army/Boyscout knife etc etc etc." It's useless crap that's included to impress idiots. Nothing more.

Of course, *you'll* probably reply that you use yours twenty times a day.

If you can't skin an animal without punctering the innards, it's YOU that's at fault....not the knife.