Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 decade ago

united states post office?

Hello husband and I are going overseas, and we would like to take our computer with us so that we can homeschool our child, but last time when we mailed our coomputer from over seas, the post office scanned our computer, and it messed up our hard drive. So do you know what should I do? is it possible that I can have the post office mail it without them scanning it. Or should I just take it with me on the plane and have them put it in cargo. I know that my husband said that I can take the hard drive out and take it with me as my arryon luggage, and have them put the computer itself in the cargo on the plane. what should I do any suggestions.

Favorite Answer

I DO BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN TAG THE ITEM WARNING CARRIER THAT YOUR PACKAGE IS RADIATION AND ELECTROSTATICALLY SENSITIVE. THEY WILL THEN PHYSICALLY OPEN THE PAKAGE THROUGH CUSTOMS INSTEAD OF XRAYING IT.

I DO BELIEVE FILM IS CARED THIS WAY.

GO TO USPS.COM , OR THE COUNTRY YOU ARE GOING TO'S POST OFFICE WEBSITE, OR YOUR LOCAL POST OFFICE TO VERIFY THIS.

BUT OVER ALL REGARDELESS OF SHIPPING, YOU NEED TO MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR SYSTEM, JUST IN CASE IT DOES HAPPEN AGAIN.

1. Buy a laptop and take it with you as a hand luggage.

2. Take only a processor with you as a hand luggage.

3. Buy a new computer in where you arrive to, and copy the info from CDs. You'll be surprised: they sell computers all over the world, and it's possible to install English windows (cheaper than in States, too).

well if it is a notebook, i dont think you should have any issues in carrying in onboard the plane. However, if its a desktop, i think it would be better if you ship it using any reputed carriers like UPS or Fedex. Dell Computer, for that matter has a tie up with UPS and ships millions of computers every month worldwide using their services without any complaints. You can tell them that there is sensistive stuff inside so that they can take due precaution in the shipment process and scanning, if at all it is required. They are expert and will give u good service. You can log on to www.ups.com or www.fedex.com for further information. (PLEASE RATE MY THE BEST ANSWERS IF YOU THINK I HAVE GIVEN YOU SOUND AND GENUINE ADVICE!)

Source(s): www.ups.com www.fedex.com

If it is a laptop, why not take it in your carry on luggage? Most destinations allow that - I do it regularly. If it is a laptop it should be of a decent size. I would not mail it, or put it in checked luggage, although the latter is a possibility.

• ?

once you fill out your exchange of address card, it is going to the CFS (laptop Forwarding device) of the Postal provider, broken up into zones. for Northern california, that's in Sacramento. the suggestions is positioned into the device and the equipment (that's automatic) is now on the alert. once you mail is going for processing interior the direction of the MSC (Mail Sorting center) on your diistrict, whilst the device sees the previous address, it kicks it out with all the different mail and places it in specific trays to be sent to the CFS, the place the yellow forwarding sticky label is placed on it. Inserted back into the mail circulation, the sticky label 9with the forwarding address) is study via the device and now sent to the hot address. Now, the device isn't proper and issues pass incorrect, that's why the mail provider at your previous address is given a label to positioned on forwarding enjoying cards, to remind them that Joe Smith at 123 important highway has put in a forward. whilst they see this mail, they do a handbook earlier to it to CFS, so it may get into the device. everyday regulations: top notch mail is forwarded for a year. 2d type Mail (magazines and newspapers) is forwarded for 60 days, with it eventualluy going back to the mailer for them to perfect the address. 0.33 type mail (the infamous unsolicited mail) is killed on the place of work and discarded (0.33 type is dealt with in any different case and may be able to no longer certainly mail in into the mailstream as top notch does). Fourth type (e book golf equipment, information golf equipment, parcels, media mail, etc) is forwarded for a year, yet you need to %. up the postage as a remailing. Now, no longer ALL of you mail gets to you. Any letter bearing the remark address CORRECTION asked is going to get the forwarding sticky label placed onto it and come again to the sender to perfect the address from previous to new. They pay for that provider. that's consistently cautioned to counseled those extreme mailings (like expenses and tax refunds) of your new address so it may bypass the device thoroughly. additionally, in case you do too many strikes in a year, it may fairly shrink to rubble the device to the element the place the device won't settle for any new forwards

UPS it instead

QU