Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Is intelligence an Anomaly?

"Anomaly: A deviation from the normal or common order or form or rule."

Is intelligence something that eventually pops up in all inhabited planets? If we (the human species) were to die off, either from nuclear warfare, lack of natural resources, etc. Would Intelligent creatures eventually appear again? Is intelligence a common trait? Or is it an extremely rare anomaly?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

We are so much more intelligent than other animals in some ways. Our analytical abilities and language skills are astounding. Still we share similar capabilities with other animals in most other mental processing tasks.

I would guess the question becomes what drove us to take the latest evolutionary leap to become so intelligent. It makes sense that it was the ability to shape things in the environment to make weapons and food gathering easier. I also suspect it required a few million years of outright warfare to finish the job. Those do seem to be a natural sort of development.

The hard part is probably not gaining intelligence but becoming multicellular. It took 3 times a long to develop the machinery to handle the extra DNA than it took for different types of intelligence to evolve to our level of intelligence. It only took a few hundred million years to get different creatures with primitive brains once multicellular organisms formed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

We are so much more intelligent than other animals in some ways. Our analytical abilities and language skills are astounding. Still we share similar capabilities with other animals in most other mental processing tasks.

I would guess the question becomes what drove us to take the latest evolutionary leap to become so intelligent. It makes sense that it was the ability to shape things in the environment to make weapons and food gathering easier. I also suspect it required a few million years of outright warfare to finish the job. Those do seem to be a natural sort of development.

The hard part is probably not gaining intelligence but becoming multicellular. It took 3 times a long to develop the machinery to handle the extra DNA than it took for different types of intelligence to evolve to our level of intelligence. It only took a few hundred million years to get different creatures with primitive brains once multicellular organisms formed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Intelligence is certainly an anomaly so far as we know at

present. We have no evidence that there are any other planets that bear life, and there are certainly no other species

on earth with anything very near human intelligence. If all

humans died out it seems very unlikely that any other intelligent species would evolve.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.