Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

NEVER CUT WHAT YOU CAN UNTIE.- what does this mean?

i dont get it...

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Literally, if you untie something you can tie it again, but not if it's cut. I've never heard this, but I believe it is a variation on "Don't burn any bridges." This is good advice which means try NOT to make decisions that limit your options in the future, Try to be as flexible as possible in your decision-making, because you can never tell what the furure will bring.

Source(s): Common sense and experience
  • 4 years ago

What Does Untie Mean

• nomo
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Think in these terms if you work hard enough you can untie a shoe lace, if you get frustrated and cut it - you no longer have a shoe lace. You could apply this to any situation, You're arguing with a friend if you take the time to solve the fight between you - you still have the friendship if you cut ties because you don't want to put the effort forward you don't have a friend anymore. Hope this helped.

• 1 decade ago

It's like "don't burn you're bridges". If you cut someone out of you're life forever (cutting something can't be undone). It's better to try and untie(or solve problems with people that matter to you), than cut ties forever.

Source(s): That's what I have always thought it meant-hope I am right! Said it a few monthes back to brother-who cut something that could have been untied (family issue) .
  • 1 decade ago

It means that if you untie something, you can use it again. If you cut it, you can't.

• 1 decade ago

Untie your shoe laces - do not cut them.

• 5 years ago

It means give something/someone another try before throwing in the towel. Great advice for any life obstacle like relationships, goals etc. Communicate better, dont just walk away and look at things other then in your own perspective.

• mark
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

perhaps do no damage if you can avoid it ?

it says , dont cut something if you can untie it , so like dont cut your shoelaces if you can untie them.

• 1 decade ago

You do not need to take such a drastic measures to something simple

A related like is "Don't kill a fly with an atomic bomb"

• look before you leap.

don`t jump in with both feet.

think about the problem not just one solution.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.