Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

Why are so many adolescents obsessed with Abercrombie?

I'm 13 and a freshman in high school, and almost every other girl wears "Abercrombie" or "Hollister". I'm not saying anything negative about the store, but I think their clothes are a bit too tight and revealing. I also hear that they rip very easlily because the material is not very durable... And yet the prices are unbelievable.

I just don't see why teens these days pressure their hard working parents into buying them these expensive clothes. I'd seriously endure physical pain if I spent that much on one item of clothing!

Favorite Answer

I actually don't shop at those places. I really don't like shopping at malls. I usually get clothes from Wal-Mart and sometimes K-Mart. I like their clothes. I do have a few clothing items from Aeropostale but that is just because I got them for gifts. I'm not into the whole name brand designer stuff. If I like something I see at Wal-Mart, or any other store, I'll buy it. I just wear what I'm comfortable in. If I wanted to, I know My Mom would buy me clothes at Abercrombie, Hollister and all them other stores if I asked, but I choose not to because I think the prices are ridiculous for one, and two, I can buy jeans that are just as good at Wal-Mart. I know I may get a bunch of thumbs downs, and you all will think I'm either poor or cheap, but I just don't feel like I have to spend a bunch of money to look good or feel good. I don't want to look like everyone else. I'm happy with what I have. I'm not going to change the way I look or act just to fit in. If you don't like me for who I am and just judge me for what I wear, or don't wear, then I don't need people like you in my life.

That's just my opinion. I'm 17, by the way.

-Tiffany

I understand how you're feeling. I know people who don't own anything NOT from Hollister or Abercrombie. I don't own anything from Hollister, but I do own one or two tops from Abercrombie and Fitch. The material and durability is actually of higher quality than most of the other cheaper stores (the ripped parts are just part of the style) As for the price, you get what you pay for... but I just wait the item is on sale. I wouldn't actually pay 59.99 for a pair of destroyed jeans, or 40 dollars for a top.

I think that those stores are just in style right now.They may not be popular anymore in a little while. Maybe 10 years from now, teens are wearing some other popular brand of clothing with ridiculous prices.

I like clothes from Hollister, Abercrombie, and Aeropostale. I'm not popular, but I don't have any enemies, and people like me. I suppose it's a trend. It was my mom who went to the mall and bought some new clothes that were from those stores, and I thought they were really cool. Not all of the clothes are revealing, the t-shirts, button-up shirts, and polos, I find to be fairly modest, and I'm and extremely modest. I usually pay for my clothes, and buy clearence items. So, they're all basically teen stores, and it's become "cool" to wear clothes from these stores, so everyone's going to buy them...

Source(s): 13 year old girl...
  • S

Not me. I have a few stuff from Ambercrombie and Hollister but most of the time I like the cloths from Anchor Blue or Tilly's.

It's all about trying to fit in. Those that MUST have this or that do not have good self-esteem nor an idea of the value of money. I am a parent and I agree with you - the clothes are not worth the price tag.

i disagree... i mean, sure. some of what your saying is true, but the material does not rip easily! if anything, it rips less, and thats why the prices are more expensive!! i wear like "all brand", but im not a stuck up and im friends with ppl who wear no brands at all... i just like the clothes that they have

and sometimes, i'll wear american eagle which is cheaper and still cute

and my mom doesnt let me get stuff that is like revealing or too tight.. she makes me get a bigger size lol

p.s. im 13 too

xox <3

Source(s): not saying i disagree with your option. just stating my own and adding onto yours =)

I don't like those clothes. I rarely go into those places and I feel sick if i do. Although i did get a kool shirt from Aeropostale the other day and was going to get these American Eagle flip flops.

I'm 14, and I do wear Hollister, but not abercrombie. But I'm not one of those girls who wear's EVERYTHING from there. I only have a few things.

i hinestly dont know. i am 14 and never steped foot in one of theose stores. and im proud of it. acctually onw that you mention it, i have not steped foot in a mall since i was 8.

i wear kohls, target and walmart like that other answer. the only holister and aeropostle i own are either gifts or hand me downs

but you know, if abercrombie decided that it was uncool to breathe, half of the earth's teenage population would be dead in a day.

You're very practical, but I guess that's too be expected if you're 13 and a freshman. The clothes are a trend; wait another two or three years and no one will ever wear them again.