Dry food or Canned food, Why?

Hi, I feed my dog Canidae dog food. Some people might be irritated of me asking so many questions about this, but i am just curious. I want the best for my dog. My question is: What do you think is better, Dry food for dogs or canned food? And why? What makes it better? I only have canned food of Canidae and dry food of royal canin. I feed 1/3 of the can of Canidae to my 6 yr old 10-20 lbs dog. And I give about half a cup of royal canin. Do you think it is the right amount? Okay, please answer my questions. Sorry if iam asking too much!

Best Answer

I personally think Dry food would be better. I just reaserched it and they said that dry food is healthier. you are feeding the right amount also.

Either.

Both have their benefits and both have their drawbacks.

If I had to pick one over the other for "all around better"... I'd pick canned.

Canned food has naturally occuring amounts of water (which is good for dogs- keeps them from having to drink as much water), and the food hasn't been cooked down to practically ashes to create dry dog food. Yes, canned food tends to stick to teeth more, but over the long term... neither canned or dry are good for dog's teeth.

Dogs just like people need to have their teeth brushed daily and at the least weekly to remove tartar and buildup of bacteria and food particles. Dry food does not do anything to clean teeth. That is a pure myth.

Do crunchy items like cookies or crackers clean our teeth? No, then why would you believe that a hard piece of crunchy food would clean a dogs teeth?

The truth is that 80% of dogs suffer from poor dental health by the time they are 3 years old... this causes all sorts of other health issues.

I guess the real question is why do you feed Canidea wet, but feed Royal Canin dry? Royal Canin is not nearly as good a food as Canidea, Evo, Innova, Timberwolf Organics, or Nature's Variety.

Only you can know if you are feeding the right amount. It depends on all kinds of factors... your dog's metabolism, energy level, amount of exercise, etc. If your dog starts to look thin, feed more, and if your dog starts to look pudgy, feed less.

Good luck.

• Anna

Sounds like it may be too rich for her or possibly too much,dried food seems such a small portion but when it gets wet expands hugely,i would try alternating rather than mixing,that way you'll know if its the canned food and you can try other brands. The reason your vet told you to mix half and half is that its a massive change in your dogs diet and such a change does cause stomach upsets. Other than that i would get your vet to advise about worming if its not been done since her original puppy course as vomiting food can be a sign of worms,good luck.x.

As for whether you're feeding the right amount or not, no one can answer that without seeing your dog, knowing how active she is, etc. If you're dog is at a good weight, you're feeding the right amount. If she's too fat, you need to cut back and if she's too skinny, you need to increase a bit.

Dry food is better than canned because there's generally more nutrition in dry food - you're not paying for water. But dry food is also much better for a dog's teeth, particularly a smaller dog or breed that tends to have bad teeth anyway. That's the biggest advantage to dry.

• gma

Dry, dry, dry kibble is the best to prevent issues with teeth and gums. They will get used to and perfer the wet food and may no longer eat the kibble. As they age, their gums and teeth will suffer from eating only canned food and they will lose their teeth. Keep the soft food for treats only on very rare occasions. I'm not even going to bring the stuff into the house for my dog.

I use dry food for my dog. My vet explained me that it's better for dog's stomach. I also think that the amount you're giving to your god is right. Just make sure that you give your dog some extra vitamins that dry food doesn't contain.

I heard dry dog food is better than canned food. It is better for dogs teeth and gums. Canned food lays around the gums and teeth longer than dry food. It says on the dry dog how much to feed your dogs on a weight chart on most dog food bags.

i give my dog mostly dry food, mixed in with a little wet food. i put in the wet food so she'll eat her vitamins i put in her food. i think it's about the right amount.

I give my dog dry food, but sometimes, i mix it up with some heated wet food. He loves it!

I personally feed both, they both have benefits. They primarily get dry, but I occasionally mix in canned.