Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

How does this quote relate to act 4 of "The Crucible"?

"Reputation is what other people know about you. honor is what you know about yourself."

please elaborate, or at least give me some ideas. I need to write an essay on it.

Favorite Answer

Earlier in the story John Proctor cofessed to having intimate relations with Abigail Adams, therefore sullying his own reputation but doing the thing which is honorable. Here, he chose honor over reputation; he'd rather have a clean conscience (what he knew about himself) than a good reputation (what others knew about him).

As John Proctor was accused of witchcraft, he was going to be hanged. His dilemma was whether to confess to what he did not do or die on the gallows. This time he did not confess. Once again he chose the honorable thing to do. In certain eyes, his reputation was made even worse because he died an "unrepentant sinner". However, I'm sure some saw him as a martyr so in a way he was saving his reputation as well. Either way, his honor was more important to him than his reputation.