English to Latin TRANSLATION?

Hi all i need your help, I am looking for a translation of the word "power" meaning rule, authority and domination (mainly domination) to be translated in latin. I have tried some english to latin translators but all come up with different results so please I wold highly appreciate it if someone knows latin well and can help me with this translation.

Thanks

Troy :D

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

There is a medieval word that fits best:

Ditio = power; sovereignty, dominion, authority

In classic Latin, potestas may not be as much toward domination as you want. Perhaps 'imperium' fits better.

Imperium = command; authority; rule, supreme power

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I didn't study Latin, but the sources I checked point to the central problem: The word "power" is of French origin and most of latin, as it regards "power," is translated as a complete phrase. One word isn't generally thought of. I went to: "Research your answer" on your question page. I typed in: Power/latin translation/definition and clicked on #1. I think that will be the most extensive answer you'll find. Good luck! Soory I couldn't be of more help.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hello,

I am learning Latin this year and power in Latin means potestas.

• 1 decade ago

auctorita (f) means authority or power in English

This may be a bit closer to what you are looking for than potestas (f), which means legal competence, power, ability, authority or opportunity in English.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Meaning of power in Latin……

• Facultas

• Vis vires

• Praesentia presencia

• Helen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Ab memet (ipso) salva me quia nescio quod facere debeo. Don't trust "googling", those translations usually aren't any good.

• 1 decade ago

imperium, imperii

The root of the English word "empire"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

look up babylon translator on ask.com or google.com and it is a translator 4 all different languages.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

arma -orum n. pl. [defensive arms , armor, weapons of war]; hence [war, soldiers, military power; protection, defense];in gen. [tools, equipment].

• 1 decade ago

potestas, atis and its feminine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.