Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Do mice die INSTANTLY when caught in trap?

Do they suffer first or is it nerves that makes them move? Because we have caught mouse in our garage and we can't find the trap ANYWHERE later! Please help.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it depends on where it strikes them at. If its on the neck, yes, it breaks their neck and you are seeing just nerve reflexes. Yes the die instantly.

Anywhere else, probably not.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Most humane way that I have found is to use a catch and release trap, just don't release the mouse. If you do, take the mouse at least a half a mile away because they are great at finding their way back into your home. If you choose the humane, kill method simply seal the whole trap in a one gallon zip lock bag. Force out all of the air before you seal it. The mouse will simply go to sleep and eventually die from lack of air. I find this works better than snap traps.

• 1 decade ago

It depends on the type of trap. Snap traps will generally kill the mouse instantly, provided the trap snaps on their head and not a leg or tail. That's the kind I believe you're talking about. If the snap trap ends up catching their leg or tail, they can drag it around until the appendage falls off, or they will die of dehydration, or sometimes shock.

Glue traps, however, do not kill the mouse instantly. The mouse will get it's feet stuck in it, then it usually gets it's body and head stuck in it, and unless it suffocates, it will just lie there until it dies, which can take hours or days.

• 1 decade ago

If the trap works as it should, it breaks their neck and they die instantly. Any movement afterwards would be reflexes.

However, they often DON'T work as they are supposed to and catch the unfortunate mouse by a limb, or break their back instead of their neck. In that case, the mouse will die a very slow death.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.