Defamation of character - do I have a case?

6 months ago I was suspended from work as another employee accused me of harassing her via Email/text messages. The next day the police arrested me for the same reason and seized my mobile telephone and laptop. I am currently still on police bail while they continue the investigation. I went into the police... show more 6 months ago I was suspended from work as another employee accused me of harassing her via Email/text messages. The next day the police arrested me for the same reason and seized my mobile telephone and laptop. I am currently still on police bail while they continue the investigation.

I went into the police station as not heard anything and got the impression that the case would be dropped as there was no evidence, various things that were put forward came back with no connection.

I strongly denied the allegations as myself and this other employee sort of had a relationship which ended badly and I believe she has done this to get back at me. This whole thing has been deeply upsetting for me and my family and has cost me over £1500 in various legal costs and replacements of items seized by the police.

Assuming that I am cleared when I go back for bail do I have a case for defamation of character? I can't let her get away with this as it has ruined my life the past 6 months.
Update: Ok guys thanks for your replies... I don't have much money so does not look like I can take this any further. :( She does not have any assets really as still lives at home so probarly not much I can get from her anyhow. It just kills me that someone can do this to someone else and there is nothing I can... show more Ok guys thanks for your replies... I don't have much money so does not look like I can take this any further. :(

She does not have any assets really as still lives at home so probarly not much I can get from her anyhow.

It just kills me that someone can do this to someone else and there is nothing I can do in reply.

I was suspended on full pay but was forced to resign otherwise I would have been dismissed so can't now use the grievance procedure against her.

I may clear my name but still feel that she has gotten away with this...