Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

check my grammar, please?

Language changes due to several reasons: settlement, movement and natural

barriers. Becuase of these historical events, language changs day by day. In addition,

language may use differ from gender, generation and social status. For example: the word

expression "chill" can be frenquently speak from the youngers, and it will rarely hear

from the adult. And/or the expression from the old generation will be different from the

new generation, like "cold box" equal to "refrigirater". Moreover, the pronouciation,

vocabulary, and the grammar patterns will be different from one region to another. This is

the only thing that suprised me when I saw the film "America tougues". It tells me that

even when the two person speak the same language (Enlgish), they can not understand

with each other. In the film, the woman would like to buy things to eat, the word that she

say is confused the cleark. The only reason for this is that the word used in the two

regions are completely different.

Many people in the world would have negative attitude toward some dialects.

People tend to think that the languages that speak from whites are better than blacks, and

the upper class people are have more standard English than the low class. In addition,

people always think that they speak standard language, and if the people who speak in a

different way, they will look down on or make fun of them. According to the reasearch

studies, it shows that speakers of varnacular dialects are have low-self esteem (Lippi-

Green, 1997; Preston, 1996; Shuy& Fasold, 1973). As an educater, especially in a

diversity culture society, we have to keep in mind that "There is no standard English" and

"No dialect is better than the other one".

In the diversity culture classroom, especially in America, teacher should try their

hard to understand each students culture background and know what languages that the

students speak. Also, the teacher can design some activities for students to participant, for

example: illustrated autobiography-- all about me. When the students get familiar with

each other, they wil realize the culture differences between each of them. And they will

learn to expect different cultures and/or different languages.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"For example: the word

expression "chill" can be frenquently speak from the youngers, and it will rarely hear

from the adult. And/or the expression from the old generation will be different from the

new generation, like "cold box" equal to "refrigirater". Moreover, the pronouciation,

vocabulary, and the grammar patterns will be different from one region to another."

This should read:

For example: The expression "chill" is frenquently spoken by the younger generation, yet rarely heard from adults. etc...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Language changes due to several reasons: settlement, movement and natural

barriers. Because* of these historical events, language changes* day by day. In addition,

language use* may differ from gender, generation and social status. For example: the *

expression, "chill," can be frequently* spoken* by* the more youthful* generation, and it will rarely be spoken*

by an adult. Likewise*, an expression from an older generation can vary* from the

younger generation, such as "cold box" equal to "refrigerator". Moreover, the pronunciation,

vocabulary, and the grammar patterns can* be different from one region to another. This is

the only thing that surprised me when I saw the film "America tongues*". It tells me that

even when two people speak the same language (Enlgish), they can not understand

each other. In the film, when a woman goes to the store to buy food, her word usage confused the clerk. The only reason for this is that the word usage in the two

regions is completely different.

Many people in the world have negative attitudes* toward some dialects.

People tend to think that the languages that are spoken by *whites are better than blacks, and

the upper class people have better English usage than the lower class. In addition,

people always think that they speak their language in the best way possible and to a certain standard*, and if the people *speak in a

different way, they will look down on or make fun of them. According to research*

studies, it shows that speakers of vernacular dialects have low-self esteem (Lippi-

Green, 1997; Preston, 1996; Shuy& Fasold, 1973). As an educator, especially in a

diverse culture and society, we have to keep in mind that "There is no standard English" and

"No dialect is better than the other one".

In the culturally diverse* classroom, especially in America, teachers should try their

hardest* to understand each students'* cultural background and know what languages the

students speak fluently. Also, the teacher can design some activities for students to participate in, for

example: illustrated autobiography-- all about me. When students get familiar with

each other, they realize the cultural differences between each other and they

learn to expect different cultural backgrounds *and/or different languages.

Source(s): Hope this helped :)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You're on your own. I've done one paragraph already. It's time you started using your books.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.