Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Would Collin Powell have made a great US President ? What about Condaliza Rice ?

As an Australian looking at your system, both these people have been immensly respected. Would they have stood no chance of Office because their Black ? Or something else ?

Favorite Answer

I have to co-sign with HenryVIII, notyou311, and don c. The former General Colin Powell seemed to have stepped from CENTRAL CASTING when he retired from the service and entered the sleazy digs of politics. He was so PERFECTLY suited to BE the new face of the Republican Party, although some Republicans didn't think the party needed a face-lift.

But here is what you had in the "General":

Patriotism - A retired General Of Generals. He was Chairman, Joint Chiefs Of Staff. The head-cheese.

Outreach - The Party Of Lincoln acknowledged their greatest disappointment (although I won't call it a weakness). Some have even declared it as a STRENGTH. Act as dumb as you choose. Act as if you have no idea at what I'm alluding to.

Big Tent (LITE) - Gen. Powell had appeal that did more than just cross racial divides. His "mixed" racial facade placated many nervous Republicans. They found that the charming General not only carried himself with unimpeachable deportment, not only delivered measured and articulate speeches that didn't sound so "Civil Right-ish". No "fire-and-brimstone" sermons from the local AME Pastor. No "chant and reply" parables of the by and by. Nothing was pro-black EXCEPT within the context of pro-American...AND..

BIG TENT(LIGHT) - Yup, I HAVE to go THERE..The General's ...wavy hair, thin lips, and very light-colored skin is rather comforting to even "some" of the party's hardest nuts. It is pretty obvious to the eye that...the white boys...(keeping it polite, folks...) did their "practicing" on the "property" and later, on the "hired help". This "familial' appearance could help ASSUAGE the White folk while the obvious MOORISH-ness might ATTRACT some likewise Black folk, a rare commodity in post-Goldwater Republican circles.

But the Can't Miss Kid met the Can't Find Osama Kid...and history...was avoided!

*

The dream ticket:

Colin Powell for President

Condoleezza Rice as Vice President

Two points though:

1) I think Colin has a bad taste in his mouth from politics. It may take a long time, if ever, for him to enter public service again. Condi is probably ready for a break as well, but she will get into something quicker. Even if its just a think-tank.

2) It's a sad fact, but being black would be a problem with a certain percentage of the voters. They could win if their opponents weren't very strong.

Colin Powell? No. He is too much a believer in strong centralized power and things such as gun control.

Condi Rice? Would be the best modern president we could ever hope for.

Colin Powell could have walked into the office. He is very well respected here. Condliza Rice is also respected, but I don't agree with some of her beliefs, so she may have had a more difficult time.

No and it has nothing to do with their race. Powell was totally taken in by Bush. He knew better but went along with the phony WMD story. Rice is even worse. She has not brokered a single deal as Sec. of State. She is simply a rubber stamp for Bush.

There are many African Americans who would make excellent Presidents especially Barack Obama. But the 2 you mentioned are poor choices.

I'm a White (mixed breed actually) conservative male and I think General Powell or Dr. Rice would both make great candidates for office. Both are highly educated and exceptionally intelligent. I don't know much about their personal politics but in my opinion both are far more qualified than many of the people currently running for office.

• I would have voted for Condy any time. I have great respect for Gen. Powell. Neither wanted to run...

No, it is not because they are black. Consider the population of blacks/hispanics, etc., to the total population. They had a chance of winning...

Source(s): life; news

Actually I might have voted for General Powell had he not gotten caught up with the Bushies. Rice might have been okay, perhaps as vice president but because she is caught up with the Bushies I don't think I would have anything to do with her now.

Colin Powell is still hiding his face in shame for his part in Bush's lies that have led to 1000's of deaths of America's bravest and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians.

id of voted for powell